Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When driving over very rough spots, I hear a clunking noise coming from the left front. (Driver's side - US car). The road has to be very rough; it doesn't do it very often. I don't feel anything moving. When I steer quickly left, right, left I hear nothing. I replaced the lower ball joints about a year ago. They were emitting more of a creak. I'm thinking maybe a broken spring? But I'd expect more of a spring noise. This is kind of a deep thunk or clunk. Any suggestions on where I should search? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
a frame bushings

check em -- exact same symptoms on mine

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Check your swaybar bushings at the lower A arm, they don't last very long if they are original rubber bushings. Poly is a good choice for replacing those. Also make sure the driver's side hexagonal p/s rack mount bushing is good and the inner and outer tie rods could be checked for play. Upper strut mounts can be a trouble spot for some cars (like Toyota Camrys), but I think the ones on the 164 are pretty stout. If you have a broken spring, you likely would have a sagging frontend on the side with the busted spring.
Charles

·
Premium Member
9,812 Posts
When driving over very rough spots, I hear a clunking noise coming from the left front. (Driver's side - US car). The road has to be very rough; it doesn't do it very often. I don't feel anything moving. When I steer quickly left, right, left I hear nothing. I replaced the lower ball joints about a year ago. They were emitting more of a creak. I'm thinking maybe a broken spring? But I'd expect more of a spring noise. This is kind of a deep thunk or clunk. Any suggestions on where I should search? Thanks.
I have the same issue right as well. My dip stick seal on my transmission would not seal and then slowly leaked fluid all over the sway bar bushing, which then made it very soft and slippery. I get more of a clunk when taking off quick or stopping hard and sometimes over bumpy roads.

Check as mentioned, that the rack is not moving on that side, sway bar bushings are intake and have no slipped out of the bracket or the bracket is loose?

Jason

·
Premium Member
27,320 Posts
Check sway bar lollipops going to lower suspenion arms for upper or lower rubber bushing failures.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have the same issue, "clunks" (sounds like it bottoms out) on big dips and steep incline driveways, squeaks on any undulation in the road. Driver side front goes nuts on freeway seams. Turns out the driver side sway bar bushing came out completely. This seems to be the popular answer. :)

·
Premium Member
9,812 Posts
I have the same issue, "clunks" (sounds like it bottoms out) on big dips and steep incline driveways, squeaks on any undulation in the road. Driver side front goes nuts on freeway seams. Turns out the driver side sway bar bushing came out completely. This seems to be the popular answer. :)
I would replace with Poly if yours is gone. What I like about the poly is the lip that is on the edge to keep these thing snug in the clamp.

Check transmission mount, if it looks good make sure the bolts are secure.

Jason

·
Registered
398 Posts
I would replace with Poly if yours is gone. What I like about the poly is the lip that is on the edge to keep these thing snug in the clamp.

Jason
Thanks Jason, I think I will take your advice. For an immediate fix, just replaced with rubber since it was on hand. Just go with the poly bushings on the sway bars, right? Let me know what you think.

·
Premium Member
9,812 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,812 Posts
Just fixed my clunk today, finally had the chance! Loose transmission mount and slightly bad Poly bushings, totally out of shape. They where softer kind that cam with the Eibach sway bars but I prefer the Superpro sway bar.
Jason

1 - 10 of 10 Posts