Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Restoring a Milano and the last mystery to solve has been vexing.

background:

had the the front and rear calipers rebuilt
turned all four discs
new brake lines and master
checked all engine mounts and rear bushings
steering rack and suspension seems fine
replaced front ball joints

on low speed braking in neutral there is a clunk that seems to come from the front right wheel.

only last idea was that the disc or rebuild of the caliper was done incorrectly, but there doesn't seem to be anything obvious. Curious if I just swithced out the calipers, but that would be the last resort.

Anyone run into this or am I failing to see something?

Thanks in advance for any musings

·
Premium Member
14,025 Posts
A worn or loose caster bushing will make that noise.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ed,

I just talked with the mechanic that is helping me with this and he said he replaced the caster bushing-- said that was a good suggestion.

He thinks it might be that the brake pads are perhapos moving too freely? Going to examine the pins and have closer look tonight. Think it might be caliper related, but hard to replicated the sound on the rack.

Thanks for your insight and suggestion.

·
Premium Member
14,025 Posts
I think that it is most likely excess play in something in the suspension or steering. Jack the corner so that the wheel is off the ground, gab the wheel at 9 oclock and 3 oclock and try to waggle it. Then try to push it backwards and forwards. If you feel anything then find the source of the movement.

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Definitely think it is in the suspension and not in the caliper or the rotor. If either the caliper or the brake rotor were lose you would be hearing it all the time. I'd go with "Alfaparticle" suggestions.
Bye

·
Registered
79 Posts
Upper control arm bushings have a tendency to fail and allow the control arm to move forwards and backwards. When this happens, there is a clunking noise that occurs when the control arm hits the body. With the car in the air, the upper control arm is resting on its stop and under tension from the torsion bar. Trying to test it under these conditions will make it seem that it is fine. Placing a jack under the lower control arm to take pressure off the stop, and then prying the upper control arm forwards and backwards will show the problem. Another way to tell if this bushing has failed is a highway speed run. Any vibration in the steering wheel, especially at 60 to 70 mph is an indicator of a bad bushing.
Best of luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts