Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'91 Spider - I have what I would describe as a low speed thunk or clank coming from the front end - like when I come in to my driveway and go over the lip at the end, I hear a noise from the front end. I know noises like this are pretty hard to diagnose, let alone online, but was owndering if anyone has any thoughts as to what to look at or how to further diagnose. I have new motor and transmission mounts and steerking lik, I assume reaminder of front end is original (except shocks). The car drives tight, but at low speeds this noise/s is/are pretty noticeable, like over pothols and the like.

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
My first thoughts ran to loose or broken front shocks - I'd start there. If they are new-ish, I'd have a look at their mountings at either end to ensure they're snug.

If shocks look OK, I would then have a look at front sway bar and its mountings.

If nothing found there, then next would be the front coil springs - broken coils anywhere ?

After these checks, it would be the remainder of the front end, especially the tie rod ends (4 of these, I believe).

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Lower Ball joints, castor worn bushings are possible causes.

In My S3 the clunk came from a factory hammer left inside the space fore of the hood.
When the hood is up you can't look into the area cause the hood obscures. Clunk sound varied: if small bump, hammer handle only clunked, big bump whole hammer and handle bounced. It was a square Euro hammer with a staright tapered ash handle marked weight 500g (1lb).

After 20 years the hammer was found! (by me, by accident) It is now mounted in a shadowbox in my office.

Being honest I was going to return it, but Fiat would not know what to do with it..LOL

Elio

TTFN

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,745 Posts
Was a lower ball joint in mine. Of course, taking it apart it was clear everything was a bit tired, so it turned into doing both sides, plus new bushes, plus one sway bar end, and might as well do adjustable upper arms at the same time...

Christ, I'm mental. Anyway, she's all tight again, no more squeaks and clunks, and I'm in therapy for my car issues and am as SANE AS THE NEXT MAN now.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,745 Posts
Man, Elio, you realize that was THE Alfa hammer? No wonder none of the cars that came off the line after yours were straight.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the replies, will check them out, and LOVE the hammer story - in one of my Fiat Spiders there was a styrofoam panel that went against the front bulkhead on the passenger side, and someone on the assembly line had written what appeared to be a soccer score on it - I can visualize someone holding up this piece of styrofoam and showing to the other workers the score!

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
If your motor mounts are old, the oil sump pan could be hitting on the sump guard?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts