Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all
Back on January y shipped my 83 alfa from Huston TX to Cleveland Ohio
Upon arrival the weather was freezing cold. The guy who transported the car try to started and disaster strike. All the pulleys shatter to pieces destroying the water pump and the cooling fan
see pictures attached
I have expend close to a $500 in parts, replaced everything that was damaged (hard work!)
Today I turned the key to start the car and nothing happened, total silence
The only think that I noticed is that as I remember, when you turn the key one notch before going all the way to activate the starter, the ECU click. not happening anymore
Brand new battery
No blown fuses eider
Any guidance on tackling this issue? Maybe a link here of past postings with this issue?

Attachments

·
Registered
728 Posts
I would remove and actually check all the fuses, sometimes it’s hard to tell.

If the ECU doesnt click over then it sounds like an electrical issue..

Any chance the battery terminals were swapped? Negative for positive

Or a cable got loose during transport?

·
Registered
8,267 Posts
its not the ecu that clicks but the two relays (fuel and main) near the ecu.

you say: "Today I turned the key to start the car and nothing happened, total silence"
If that is the case, it is another problem, as the car would crank over even with bad relays, and even if the cranking voltage was a bit low....it just wouldn't fire up.

(btw: yes, you need min 10.5-11.0V "cranking voltage" for the computor to awake on L-jetronic cars)

does everything else electrical otherwise work, like dash lights & gauges when you turn the key on (KO)? Indicators, headlights etc..all working as well?
If nothing works, your battery is disconnected

If dash lights work etc, but starter just does nothing check the thick red wires in the junction block (under the hood, drivers side on fender) or perhaps the trigger wire on the starter (spade connection) has fallen off, or your ignition switch has gone bad.

With headlights on, and then you 'try' crank the engine/starter, do headlights go dim?

I was thinking perhaps that the shattered fan pieces might have cut some important wire, but I can't think of anything up front to do with the starter, that it could be!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would remove and actually check all the fuses, sometimes it’s hard to tell.

If the ECU doesnt click over then it sounds like an electrical issue..

Any chance the battery terminals were swapped? Negative for positive

Or a cable got loose during transport?
Thank you for the advice TREMERE
Good idea, im going to double check on all the fuses
Battery is new and fully charged, connections are ok

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its not the ecu that clicks but the two relays (fuel and main) near the ecu.

you say: "Today I turned the key to start the car and nothing happened, total silence"
If that is the case, it is another problem, as the car would crank over even with bad relays, and even if the cranking voltage was a bit low....it just wouldn't fire up.

(btw: yes, you need min 10.5-11.0V "cranking voltage" for the computor to awake on L-jetronic cars)

does everything else electrical otherwise work, like dash lights & gauges when you turn the key on (KO)? Indicators, headlights etc..all working as well?
If nothing works, your battery is disconnected

If dash lights work etc, but starter just does nothing check the thick red wires in the junction block (under the hood, drivers side on fender) or perhaps the trigger wire on the starter (spade connection) has fallen off, or your ignition switch has gone bad.

With headlights on, and then you 'try' crank the engine/starter, do headlights go dim?

I was thinking perhaps that the shattered fan pieces might have cut some important wire, but I can't think of anything up front to do with the starter, that it could be!
Thank you spiderserie4
Great info
All Lights working OK no dimming when turning the key
Ill check on your recommendations
Thanks a million!

·
Administrator
17,145 Posts
If the headlights do not dim when the key is turned to 'start' then no electrons are going to the starter motor. Could be a disconnected wire or a faulty key switch or a faulty starter motor.

And, L-jet is a system. All the parts have to work for it to work at all. See the link in my signature for a page of info about the L-jet system on our cars.

·
Registered
8,267 Posts
He meant fan blades broke off I think
could be his pulley shattered too....in one of those small photos (top right), I think I can make out a chunk of pulley missing...?

·
Administrator
17,145 Posts
Maybe the crank position sensor got knocked off?
1983 has L-jetronic. Flywheel sensors (X2), not a crank pulley sensor like the '90 - '94 Motronic. But it'd be a good idea to to test the flywheel sensors (info in L-jet Diagnosis page). And even if they test OK with the ohm meter, remove them to check for physical damage (like a dent in the end of the sensor). Make sure they are re-connected correctly - the wire harness plugs are color coded (info in the L-jet Diagnosis page).

Another thing to check for are displaced contacts inside the plastic wire harness plugs. They can get moved out of position and then won't make electrical connection. The plastic plug may be plugged in but the contacts inside are not.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts