Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just pick up my 73' spider from a total body re-spray and trim clean up - ran like a swiss watch - until the highway backed up - as I downshift to 4th the cluch pedal is full of play and firms up just 2"from the floor. I realize it is engaged and I am in stop and go highway traffic. Needless to say gears ground, and starting the car in second - very strong starter! Fluids look fine - gears where clear - is their a cable adjustment point?

·
Administrator
18,168 Posts
I believe your Spider does not have a cable operated clutch but rather a hydraulic operation. At the top of the pedal is a pivot shaft that operates a push rod into the clutch master cylinder. The factory weld at the end of the pivot shaft is a weak point and will break causing the symptoms you describe.

See: Clutch Pedal Pivot Shaft

And here is where you can buy an improved, stronger pedal pivot shaft with a lifetime warranty: Alfa Romeo Clutch Pivot Arm

·
Registered
304 Posts
Just replaced Clutch slave cyl and now clutch master cyl. Not a bad job, Classic Alfa has the master cyl rebuild kit for $16, slave is around $50.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts