Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RECENTLY I NOTICED The cluch pedal of my 81 alfa romeo spider veloce 31K has recently been extremly high before the cluch engages and I notice a bit of slip. Why am I losing cluch?
The cap to the slave cylinder recently cracked however went unnoticed for months. Also I can not remember ever changing the fluid. Any ideas as to how to correct the problem? Can I adjust the cluch if so how??? Could old fluid be a problem??

·
Administrator
17,066 Posts
The hydraulics are not really adjustable - it should be self-adjusting (until the clutch lining finally wears out...) There is an adjustment on the master cylinder's push rod but that is supposed to be set to a specified length and not otherwise adjusted.

If it hasn't been done for a long time (more than a few years) it can't hurt to push some fresh fluid through. DOT 4 brake lfuid doesn't cost that much. It might help...

Once filled with fresh fluid and properly bled of air, have your trusted assistant move the pedal while you watch the slave for movement of the actuating arm. If it is inadequate then you either need new hydraulics or a new clutch.

Does it slip if you rev the engine in 4th or 5th gear while moving slowly?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does not slip in 4th or 5th gear when reving the engine.. No.

The pedal engagement is very high and seems to slip upon 2nd or 3rd..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are there any instructions as to how to bleed the slave cylinder or master cluch cylinder for my 81 veloce duetto??

·
Registered
237 Posts
Not sure if the '81 is the same as the '84... but I just did mine.

I used the method that is recommended by several members on the BB.

I bought a 100ml syringe from Amazon ($8) and then pushed the fluid up from the slave. It seems to have worked simply and flawlessly. It took almost the 2 full syringes to fill the empty system.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am sure the cars 81 or 84 are not that different. Can you explain a bit further as to how you used the syring to move the fluid up from the slave..
I like simple and would like to know more.

·
Administrator
17,066 Posts
Attach syringe to bleed screw with a short length of tubing. Make sure the master cylinder reservoir is not full (because you will be adding fluid to it and you don't want it to overflow - brake fluid is a good paint remover).

Check the position of the bleed screw - it should be at 12 O'clock. If needed, rotate the slave cylinder. Open the bleed screw about 1/2 turn then push clean brake fluid in using the syringe.

This fills the system from the bottom - pushing air up - the way it wants to go. If you try bleeding by using the pedal you are pushing air down. When no more bubbles exit the master cylinder into the reservoir, close the bleed screw and test the system.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry I am tryig to imagine this procedure.
The bleed valve is on teh slave cylinder which is mounted near the transmission (under the car) Correct..
Before doing this I should remove brake fluid from the master cylinder resevour. Under the car I attach the hose / syringe to the bleed valve open it (being sure it or the slave cylinder is at 12 o'clock position ) and push new fluid into the system . I will need another person to watch for bubbles and to tell me the level of the MC resevour.. CORRECT????

·
Registered
237 Posts
When I did this, I had the fuel injectors and fuel rail off. I was able to do it from the top of the car and could see the MC res. Made it very easy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts