Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,

I have owned my '67 Super for 12-13 years now. It was a race car with RMVR in Colorado and then sat for some time. I bought it and converted back to street as it wasn't that far off. The gear box seems to me to have a much shorter 5th gear. It is extremely close to 4th. Just for reference, I have raced Alfa's with a Schwitters close ration gearbox and this is NOT that.
My question is what to do??? I have lived with it, but now am driving it more and farther and want a stock 5 gear.

Reactions: 71GTV1750

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good morning,

I have owned my '67 Super for 12-13 years now. It was a race car with RMVR in Colorado and then sat for some time. I bought it and converted back to street as it wasn't that far off. The gear box seems to me to have a much shorter 5th gear. It is extremely close to 4th. Just for reference, I have raced Alfa's with a Schwitters close ration gearbox and this is NOT that.
My question is what to do??? I have lived with it, but now am driving it more and farther and want a stock 5 gear. View attachment 1677482

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just put in the longer 5 from most of the 105 gear boxes
I believe the smaller has 20 theeth i.s.o 21

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
In addition to the gearbox having different/close gears maybe the differential gears have also been changed? Could exacerbate the problem (ie: 5:12, 4:78, 5:38?). -John

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
I agree with Andrew. You could have a GTjunior box which is the same as the GTV boxes except a short 5th or you could have a regular box that has had a Junior fifth swapped in. Or you have a close ratio box of some sort, maybe GTA type. You have to have a look.

Just buy a good normal 5 speed or buy one for rebuilding. If you have a C/R box it is valuable. If you have a short 5th pair from a Junior it also has some value to racers by it self and that might buy you a whole box. Buy from a reputable source.

Love your Super. what did you do for license light? A picture please.

Ken

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for input everyone. I am working with Richard J. on swapping out a standard .79 set for mine. Happy with the offer. Here is the rear GTA style back.
IMG_2078.JPG
IMG_2078.JPG
IMG_2078.JPG

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oops! I guess you'll get to see it 3-4 times!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts