Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following a steering wheel removal I’ll now have to reassemble the whole steering gear. Can I reset the clock spring somehow if I unintentionally have rotated the steering wheel during this process?

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Your question is not clear. What did you do exactly?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I meant that during the steering wheel removal I may or may not have rotated the steering wheel (a lot was going on then so I just can’t be sure) and now I’m worried that my clock spring is a turn or two off what it was originally. Can I somehow reset or check the clock spring?

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Did you remove steering wheel with clock spring attached or remove the three screws and leave it on steering column?

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
So if you pulled the three screws and left the clock spring in the steering column and pulled the wheel, just put the steering wheel back on lined up with the three screws. If the wheel was turned wheel you removed it and you want to re-center the clock springs 3 screws to match straight on wheel just push the spring loaded button and rotate clock spring bad to center.

Be sure the two turn signal canceling legs on clock spring are in the turn signal correctly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great! How do I know when the clock spring centered again? The steering shaft is still detached from the rack and wheels not straight. Now if I straighten the wheels (while shaft detached) and then attach the shaft, how do I know that the clock spring orientation is correct?

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
By lining up the 3 screw holes in it to the holes in the steering wheel. If you put the steering wheel on the match the screw holes in clock spring it has to be lined up. Isn't the steering wheel removed now from steering shaft and air bag removed?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it is. I probably haven’t turned the wheel while removing it but to prevent the ribbon from breaking I’d like to be sure the CS is centered revolution-wise.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
This bolt was holding the steering shaft to rack spline. Is the length 45mm correct? The fit isn’t quite perfect hence suspicion. Should there be washers on either end?
Item 60511625.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Looks like correct bolt. Is it an 8.8 or higher number on head? Washer under a elastic stop nut at least or bevel conical washer under regular nut.

Center steering rack left to right and then hook up steering column universal joint with steering wheel off. If rack have steering damper spring assembly on it turn to center shaft to set rack right in middle 50/50 free play in centering spring.

Now if clock spring three screw holes are not lined up to match steering wheel perfectly centered then push in spring loaded plunger and rotate clock spring just enough for it to line up with screw holes.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. Fantastic tips.

I made an effort and centered the clock spring. It appears that the CS rotates freely about 7 turns so I assume the center point where the ribbon won’t be stressed on full lock is around 3 turns. The small arrow is now lined up with the mark on the body and 3 screws match the steering wheel.

Btw, what’s the (probably 3mm) spacer holding the front brake discs? 60508888. What’s the function of that?

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
They are to offset the wheels slightly, probably to keep the tires from rubbing inner plastic fender liners. Best to keep them in place with stock wheels. I even use those spacers both in front and rear to move my aftermarket wheels out more into fender flare for a better look.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ah, I see. Might try how the tire sits without them. My wheel lug bolts are a bit short (30mm thread length) and they’re gripping only by 4mm so not very convincing. I was looking for a correct set of bolts but couldn’t find a set in such a short notice.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
yes, be safe if using shorter lug bolts. Are you running stock 164 alloy wheels?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, and the original winter tires. I’ll have to try if those bolts are long enough for 156 OE wheels.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Friend has those 164 wheels on his and has some thicker spacers than 3mm. Don't know what bolts though he used.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I do have different bolts for rear (length same, R socket 17mm, F socket 19mm) and front so I think someone has lost the original bolts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And because I think the topic has already been lost, is the oil pressure at hot idle higher on newer cars (Q, LS...)?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts