Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently inherited a 1986 spider. It was kept in a garage, covered but hadn't been driven in a year or so. The battery was dead so I put in a new battery but the clock stays on all the time. Is this normal or will the clock being on drain my battery. I currently unhook the battery, since I do not drive this vehicle often, just in case the clock should not be on all the time. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you

·
Registered
620 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
My clock’s LED display is not illuminated when the car is off. Obviously, it receives some power to keep the proper time, but it doesn’t drain the battery unnecessarily illuminating the display.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 1986 Spider QV with the original clock. With the ignition off, the display is completely blank. Yes, the little LED display will eventually drain a battery, especially if your battery was not all the great to begin with. But it would take many months before that happens. If it goes any faster, say 4-8 weeks, I would say you have some parasite drain. And it is worthwhile checking it out, because they tend to get worse over time.

I have a battery quick connect on all of my three classic cars. Very convenient and it does prevent draining the battery. I had an immobiliser fitted and you would be surprised how over the course of weeks it can drain your battery.
The quick connect also comes in very handy to quickly disconnect the battery when working on the car.

These days I am lucky having all three cars in my own garage and I keep them all on their own trickle charger permanently.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
It was kept in a garage, covered but hadn't been driven in a year or so
both your clock and your radio memory will use a certain small amount of amps (about 20mAmps)
An aftermarket burgular alarm (if fitted) even more.
A faulty alternator (bad diodes) will drain a battery.

But after a whole year (!) you battery will be drained flat, that's obvious
If you had disconnected the battery a year ago, a decent battery would have started the car a year later.

I have a disconnect switch for the battery (saves you unbolting the battery clamp each time) and my battery was in the car when I bought it back in 2008! (so will be even older)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I put a brand new battery in about 2 months ago and I currently unhook the battery after I drive it because I thought the time display would slowly drain the new battery. Any ideas why the clock display doesn't go dark when I turn the car off? Fun little car, but I will have to sell it since I am 6'8 and I look like I'm in a toy when driving it. Turns a lot of head but not sure if they are looking at the car which is in great shape or the fact that they are laughing at me and my head sticking out of the convertible while driving. Again thank you to all for the replies and if anyone has any ideas how to turn the display off or why it is on continuously let me know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts