Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Clock for '87 Spider

10K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  pklint 
#1 ·
The clock in my '87 Spider has died. Anyone have a good working one for sale or know where to get one?

#7 · (Edited)
There are different Green BORG clocks. They don't have a "curtain" that goes over the display. They do have a glass or hard plastic lens, haven't tried to remove the lens on mine so can't say for certain if its glass or plastic.

It sounds like the clock you have, may have burned out its light bulb. Take a look at the back and see if you can pull out the bulb.

The other type of clock does not have a bulb. The display lights up on its own.

Here's a link to the type of BORG with both the bulb and without (LCD and LED).

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/67123-light-bulb-digital-clock.html#post940039

....and there I go typing too slow again...

#22 ·
1986 Spider QV clock: Digital to Analog conversion

I replaced the digital clock in my 86 with an analog Alfa clock. Works better, looks better, nd ain't going to crap-out.
Hi, Don.

Back in 2011, you wrote that you replaced the digital clock with an analog clock in your 1986 Spider. Did you have to enlarge the cutout in the center console panel? Also, were the pin connections the same between the two clocks?
I would also like to make the digital to analog clock swap in my 1986 Spider QV but would first appreciate any conversion détails and advice you can possibly provide before I go hunting down an S4 analog clock.

Many thanks in advance.

Greetings from the south of France,

RiansSpider

#8 ·
The correct clock for an '87 in an LCD black on green, no buttons like the '86 3 buttoner. If it fails, it's dead. The '86+ are interchangeable though, so choose the one you want and use it from whatever year you like and use it. *None of them require a bulb to be readable during the day- it's just for night illumination.

#11 ·
Most of the '87s I've come across have the 3 button, but like I posted in the other thread, I did say that they may have changed in late '87. Either way, they're interchangeable, as you said. So, could we say that the correct version for an '87 is both LED/LCD, no button and three button (since Guido probably grabbed whatever he had in the parts bin at the time)?

#12 ·
So it looks like there was a point, like many other years, that the earlier builds of a given year get's some prior year stuff. Kinda like the first '86s that had the foam rear spoiler, but monopod. The moral is just drive it.

#15 ·
I'd like an easy way to change the color from green to red, blue, or orange. Sticking a gel in the LED version won't do anything but change the shade of green to something bluer or darker green. I'm too much of a chicken to try and pop out the lens in my clock. Luckily, my numbers are still working, so I can tell what time it is when I do get around to setting the clock.

#16 ·
Yeah the LED version has a colored lens, so if you could find a piece of flat broken tail light, you might be able to finagle something, since the LEDs themselves are clear. My 3 buttoner works fine too. It's the LCD one that looks like Chinese arithmetic.

#18 · (Edited)
The face of the LED clock comes off by going around the back edge of the face/cover lip with a jewelers screwdriver and releasing the little snap clip thingies. There's a seam back there you can see, and IIRC, it only locks on two opposite sides, not all four. In any event, it's just popped together.

From there you'll find the colored lense is a piece of plastic, not glass.

Try not to drop the buttons, or at least have something to catch them instead of the console hole or under the seat.

#19 ·
Yeah, have taken my clock apart a bunch of times. Easy enough to do. It may well be green plastic, that would be a pain to replace if broken also. Mine just didn't have that "plastic" feeling. Tapping on it even sounded more like glass than plastic.

I'll risk breaking and take apart a working $80-$300 sensor or other thing on the car, to see how it works or what's in it, but too chicken s@#t to try and pop out a green lens that's probably less than a dollar. Go figure.

#23 ·
Hi: It required no change in wireing, etc. The clock is really a drop-in (to the best of my recallection). I got the cloick from the Alfa dealer about 1988-89. You will need a very fine screwdriver to remove the digital...it pops out...just be careful. Good luck. I can't be of more help, as it was a long time ago...but the clock still works, and it has the logo ...I think with some research, you will find the correct size replacement ...:rolleyes:

#26 ·
Hi RiansSpider.

I replaced the digital clock in my "89 QV" with an analouge S4 clock.
It is almost a drop in procedure.
There is a 1mm. edge inside the opening for the clock, it can be removed with
a Stanley knife. From here it is "plug and play".
The front is same size and the connector fits.

Technology Wire Electronic device Electrical wiring Electronics

Electronics Measuring instrument Gauge Technology Electronic device

Red Auto part

Green Speedometer Auto part Light Display device

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel Alfa romeo

I think this clock suits the interiorstyle best.

Best regards PETER

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.