Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have 2 questions, first the easy one. Are any of your clocks back lit? Its kind of annoying that i can only see what time it is during the day.
Second. Is there a way to adjust my fuel gauge either at the sender or at the gauge. The gauge functions very well, the low fuel light will even come on but when the tank is full it only shows 3/4 full and when the gauge shows empty there is still 1/4 tank of fuel left. So i'd like to adjust the gauge up 1/4 tank.
thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
544 Posts
The clocks in both my GTV6 and Milano are backlit -- yours should be too.

As for your fuel gage, it sounds like the sender in the fuel tank is starting to fail (very common, in every brand of car), probably you need a new sender. I doubt there's anything you can do to 'recalibrate' the gage in the instrument panel -- been there. tried that, didn't work (granted, that was 20+ years ago on an old VW Squareback).

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Are you sure the tank is full when it shows 3/4? It is common for the gas station pumps here to shot off when the Milano tank is only 3/4 full.
Jes

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,073 Posts
Like Jes said, it's hard to get the Milano to fill to more than 3/4 tank so I bet your gauge is okay. Turning the gas pump handle upside down or sideways as you fill can often help.

One other contributing factor on some early Milanos was that the tank vent hose was improperly routed. It's an easy fix and made a huge difference on my '87. There's a pic and an explanation in this thread:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/milano-75-1987-1989/24724-gas-spilling.html

On the clock, I'm pretty sure the backlight lamp is easily replaceable if you remove the ARC warning panel. It's an easy job to remove it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced the back light for the clock, i had to pull apart the light for the big red beacon light in there since there are 3 diffrent types of lights back there.
I've filled up the tank many times in this car. It could be possible that the tank never gets filled above 3/4 but i usually try filling it at its slowest setting after its shut off once.
I'll read the other thread and see if i can ensure that the tank is truly full

·
Registered
707 Posts
I've had the same fuel gauge problem. I even went to the trouble of swapping the fuel gauge sending unit to a spare and it read the exact same. I've just learned to live with the fact that 7/8 full is really full.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Like the other guys wrote, if I stop filling my '87 Milano when the gas pump clicks off normally, then the gauge will read about 7/8. If I spend another five minutes or so laboriously putting in a bit more gas, waiting for the tank to vent, putting in another few cups worth, waiting some more, etc. I can get another gallon or two in there and the gauge will read nearly full. It requires patience and a certain compulsive-obsessive mindset to do this on a regular basis.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts