Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering, is there any extensions available for the wire that connects to the climate control unit? I'd like to move it somewhere else .. say my glove box but the cable that connects to it is far to short. Any ideas on how to do this?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I was wondering, is there any extensions available for the wire that connects to the climate control unit? I'd like to move it somewhere else .. say my glove box but the cable that connects to it is far to short. Any ideas on how to do this?
Yes - if you make one yourself :)! I doubt that you can buy a ready made one. If you really want to do it, cut the wires and put in longer length of wires in between. Watch the wire size and label them. You can crimp in some connectors so you can remove the "extension" in the future.

What do you have in mind? Installing a GPS or LCD display?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd like to install my LCD screen in that spot, its really just about the perfect size. What gauge wire would you recommend? And if I just cut the wires and add longer ones you think it'll still function right?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Use wires that are bigger (gauge-wise) or at least the same size to avoid potential problem (like overheat) although I don't think the climate control unit uses any high power/current connections. Yes, I think it'll still work :) as long as you're not adding a couple hundred feet in between!

I know it is hard to get the same or similar color wires, so keep the wires label and tidy for easier future maintenance.

We put in a 7" LCD below the climate control where the radio was!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, how'd you fit that in? That's interesting but I just bought a new headunit so I cant really do that.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Haha, two things: We cut the LCD housing shorter and we also cut out the ashtray (we don't smoke :))! We were planning to make a filler piece to cover the remaining hole left by the ashtray better but we didn't quite get to that yet! The car has no radio. The LCD is actually a computer display. My son has GPS, MP3 music, WIFI interface, ... running on it :)!

I'll try to take some pictures some time!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting.. hopefully we can manage to move the climate control unit with it still working and Ill have my LCD looking good soon enough. Mine is also for a computer.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Here're some pictures:
1. LCD installation. We still have to cover the hole below.
2. Startup logo :)
3. Main menu (touch screen), MP3 playing in background
4. GPS

If we are going to do it again or "upgrade", we will likely (spend more and) get a brighter screen. The glare from the daylight makes the screen hard to see - not that we need to see it that often when driving :rolleyes:! The GPS program has voice instruction.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts