Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran a diagnostic on my 1993 164 climate control. It came up with a number 2. Does anyone know what that means?

·
Premium Member
27,011 Posts
Code 2U Open circuit on external air temp sensor.
Code 2C External air sensor shorted to ground.

A 93 164 model would have had that sensor located in bottom of driver's external mirror. Look for little almost rectangle cover in bottom of mirror mount with a little black bump out on it.

Maybe mirror has been changed and wiring to sensor damaged or cut. Sensor wire connector inside door along with mirror control and heater wiring connector.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
How do you run a diagnostic on a climate control unit?
My 1995 unit has an occassional wobbly and switches from manual to auto. I assumed it was the climate control unit itself but even after putting in a brand new unit it still does it.

·
Premium Member
27,011 Posts
How do you run a diagnostic on a climate control unit?
My 1995 unit has an occassional wobbly and switches from manual to auto. I assumed it was the climate control unit itself but even after putting in a brand new unit it still does it.
Procedure is in the shop manual in a/c section for 91 model. Check your facelift model shop manual.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
The first number displayed is the number of faults detected. Continuing the process should then display the fault codes themselves, the two character codes.

I forget which button you press sequentially to display each of those fault codes but I have the shop manual if nobody else can post the process.

The LS model years used a different computer if I recall correctly which may use a different process. My recollection is that the diagnostic process uses the same concurrent two button press for both systems, (AUTO and VENT?) and then after the number of faults is displayed press VENT once and record the code displayed, then repeat for the total number of codes detected writing down each one. Then find the code list. I think the code lists different between the two systems.

Valeo is the supplier of these systems to both SAAB and FIAT Group.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Thanks, Michael. My 1995 unit says Bosch - on both the original and replacement. Different on the later cars?
Mine too, Bosch made in France. Valeo and Bosch had a JV at the time. The system is a Valeo product. I believe Valeo owned a subsidiary that actually designed the system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts