Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Clicking N44 Rear Lamps Control Unit finally fixed

Black Beauty has had this problem off and on since I got it couple years ago.

Thought it was something in the wiring from N44 to rear light tail light as when I discconect wiring from both L/R bulbs clicking will stop. Wire also goes to anti theft control unit N45 but disconnecting it does not stop clicking if L/R bulbs hooked up. If I removed N41 parking light control unit clicking in N44 would stop too.

Thought it had to be something in wiring which goes through connector G171 a 15-wire connector under fuse box area, but I was wrong.

Got to fix this as now it is messing up left turn signal and preventing it from working at all or flashing super fast like a bulb is out.

Guess to troubleshoot I will try changing turn signal hazard flasher N13 in fuse box first. That didn't help.

LATE NEWS Flash!

FIXED THE MOTHER FINALLY AFTER 2 YEARS of clicking getting worse.

It was left front turn signal and parking light socket and what was really wrong was spring locking clip missing from wiring socket and connector finally came loose enough that L/F turn signal very fast but very dim.

Replaced socket which no had a corroded/burned pin and installed missing clip. No more N44 rear lamp control unit clicking by fixing front turn signal bulb socket connector and replacing bad socket.

I am still scratching my head over this one. Cross-talk is bad just as much as a bad ground is bad. Looks like I had both here.

First pix shows wiring connector with no locking clip. Second shows one with clip and one on car without clip.

Next pix is N44 Rear Lamp Control Unit which PO had packed with foam to deaden clicking sound and N22 ARCU mini brain for all these systems - both under dash behind glove box area.

Next pix is N41 parking light control unit to right of steering column.

All three on my work bench in last pix.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
N44

I Am. Having a similar problem. Just picked up the N44 part but know where it goes. Would you happen to have a diagram where it goes or can you explain it to me. I also picked up the gray part, should I replace both?
I need help.

·
Premium Member
27,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Under glove box on USA spec 164 12v models.

Replace N44 first and see if problem goes away as it is attached to foot well light attach point with two phillips screws and easier to get at. Whereas, N22 hidden to right and higher up behind dash. It held in place with two nuts (maybe 8mm or 10mm) and has many connectors.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts