Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can I get some advice on a product for cleaning a head lining? Have searched and cant find a specific product. Meguirs do a cloth trim which may work?

I have 26 years of stain on the velour in my gtv6-I thought a try with carpet foam maybe as a start?

thks in advance haden

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
White gas. At least that's what it is called here. Clear, purified fuel used in camping lanterns, cook stoves, etc. and back when, by your local garment dry cleaner. Test on a small area or separate piece of material first. I used this successfully on my Alfetta GTV headliner.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Blue Coral Dri-Clean Upholstery Cleaner

I've had pretty good luck with this stuff. Foaming products, which don't soak the material being targeted, usually eliminate the phenomenon of an ever-expanding dark halo/ring of concentrated dirt/cleaner at the edges of a work area - advantageous if you are cleaning a particular spot.

Amazon.com: Blue Coral DC22 Dri-Clean Upholstery Cleaner: Automotive

Also, there seems to be a category of greasy smears that is best dissolved with a diluted solution of Simple Green. This has worked well on the 164's "mouse-fur" headliner. Also had good results on the hard (stretched?) leather steering wheel and shifter knob to remove the accumulation of organic oils/sweat that inevitably build up after some years. I've also noticed that SG can start to remove the "silk-screened(?)" text/graphics on plastic fascias and stalks, if not diluted adequately.

Amazon.com: Simple Green 13005 All Purpose Cleaner. Gallon: Automotive

As someone else pointed out, much towel wiping to absorb the cleaner + dissolved dirt helps, esp. with the very thin SG solutions.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi there-tried the simple green and it worked a treat!

thks for help with this

Haden

1 - 5 of 5 Posts