Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coolant, windshield washer, brake, clutch, etc. Anybody have any tips or solutions on what to use for removing the years of grime frome these?

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
On those specifc items, I've used everything from fast orange spray to D&L hand cleaner to kerosense to brake cleaner sprayed on a rag to good effect. (brake cleaner worked best/fastest IMO)

Even windex works if it's not too awful gross.

In any event, I wouldn't waste the time with a 'specialized plastic product cleaner' myself. :shrug:

·
Administrator
16,628 Posts
If you are asking about cleaning the inside of plastic containers, I suggest trying crushed ice. Dump in a handfull and shake the container. The sharp edges of the ice help to scour out the nooks & crannies but it is not so abrasive so as to cause any damage to the plastic. Then, once clean, it is easy to get rid of the ice by using hot water (a bit of soap is useful along the way, too).

Obviously if used to clean out the inside of the brake fluid reservoir you need to thoroughly rinse & dry it well before using it...

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, just tried it on the coolant res. Salt and ice works fantastic on this stuff! Should have remembered that trick from way back when I worked in a resturant, that's how we always cleaned coffee pots.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
As I tell the young-uns at work, "if you want to get it done right & quick, ask the lazy guy how..."
Is that kinda, sorta similar to "if you want it done quickly, do it yourself. If you want it done correctly, yer gonna hafta wait?"

..or is that what one tells the boss? ;)

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Orange Goop for the Outside

I've cleaned the outside of my translucent brake fluid container on my Duetto with Orange Goop hand cleaner. Worked good. Inside was'nt bad, so didn't need to clean it.

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
I have used Gunk engine cleaner and a handfull of aquarium gravel and swished that around for a little while, and I was very pleased with the results.
I followed that up with some common laundry bleach and have descent results.
Make sure you get all the gravel/solutio out and rinse the heck out of it.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I believe these containers are made of HDPE, High Density Poly Ethylene), and this plastic is non reactive to just about any chemical there is. Iron deposits, calcium, organic crud, could come out with 50/50 muriatic (caution, corrosive!!!), then rinse, then add oxalic acid for iron, it there is a red tinge in there, then rinse, then go from there. All the above mentioned cleaners should also do fine. BE SURE TO RINSE IN BETWEEN CHEMICAL APPLICATIONS TO AVOID CAUSING TOXIC CHEMICAL BY PRODUCTS, like, poisonous Chlorine gas, etc.

Just the same, plastic will rarely come as clean as new. HDPE naturally "yellows" with just a few years.......

For organic crud, use dilute lye solution (CORROSIVE!!! POISON!) TAKE PROPER PRECAUTIONS. NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR CARELESS USE OF CHEMICALS.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I know this is an older thread but has anyone ever tried Hydrogen Peroxide? I heard it works well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts