Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1973 Spider; the daily
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting the spider out for a test drive last night I came back to this morning a small puddle of oil on the floor. Turns out to be a bad OVS. I did some digging and couldn't find anything on how to clean these things. I know they rust after a while but this one seems ok for now. If anyone has posted on how to clean one out it would be much appreciated if you could share it with me.

·
Premium Member
3,721 Posts
Here you go.

Good luck,

Vin

Reactions: ghnl

·
Premium Member
4,731 Posts
I would recommend this instead of wasting time trying to clean yours. To get one of these.

·
Registered
1973 Spider; the daily
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would recommend this instead of wasting time trying to clean yours. To get one of these.

I'd love to get one of those but my buget for this car is very small. One of those nice OVS is half of what I bought the car for.

·
Premium Member
4,731 Posts
You bought the car for less the 95.00. Thats a good deal.

·
Registered
7,888 Posts
The OVS is probably the most important misunderstood item on our cars. When it doesn't work it is the root cause of a myriad of mechanical issues going on in the heart of the car.. your car's engine. Ask any knowledgeable mechanic how it is supposed to work and why it is important. This is the shortest most educational video I have found that relates to how your Alfa OVS works.
and ventilates your engine..
and why it can be the source of burnt valves, carbon build up, over heating , fouled plugs, dirty oil in short order, blown seals, ... sounds like a familiar recipe for old Alfa's .. doesn't it?....

. The comment about a 'pool" of oil on the floor gives me a suspicion the crank case has been pressurized and the source of the "pool" of oil is most likely an engine seal that has resigned from it's position of keeping oil inside the motor

·
Registered
74 Spider 78 Spider 84 Spider
466 Posts
you can try soaking it in diesel or solvent and then flushing real good. BUT...I would only attempt that if it's not starting to rust through and you truly believe it to be still functional.

The long term solution is a new OVS...the one that divotandtralee is selling. Cheaper than you will find a NLA OEM one for.

·
Registered
1973 Spider; the daily
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The OVS is probably the most important misunderstood item on our cars. When it doesn't work it is the root cause of a myriad of mechanical issues going on in the heart of the car.. your car's engine. Ask any knowledgeable mechanic how it is supposed to work and why it is important. This is the shortest most educational video I have found that relates to how your Alfa OVS works.
and ventilates your engine..
and why it can be the source of burnt valves, carbon build up, over heating , fouled plugs, dirty oil in short order, blown seals, ... sounds like a familiar recipe for old Alfa's .. doesn't it?....

. The comment about a 'pool" of oil on the floor gives me a suspicion the crank case has been pressurized and hthe source of the "pool" of oil is most likely aand engine seal has resigned from it's position of keeping oil inside the motor. would make a bout pooling oil on the floor
That is very possible. But having the ovs out I can see the bong for the oil return is clogged so I want to take care of that. I will be doing a full motor reseal and headgasket. I have a feeling alot of these issues is due to lack of oil changes causing the oil to sludge and clog the ovs and slowly blow engine seals.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
That is very possible. But having the ovs out I can see the bong for the oil return is clogged so I want to take care of that. I will be doing a full motor reseal and headgasket. I have a feeling alot of these issues is due to lack of oil changes causing the oil to sludge and clog the ovs and slowly blow engine seals.
Probably true, how many of us do not see the doctor on a regular basis? or put off basic maintenance around the house. I have been changing the oil in my vehicle every 3k miles for many years, never had a failure in 50 years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts