Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i recall seeing a post in the past in which someone explained how to clean your interior rear view mirror if it was foggy from the inside.

i couldn't find the post though.

thanks

·
Registered
447 Posts
Well, I don't know what the other post said, but here is what worked for me on my 91... First, the entire mirror assembly - stalk and all - just pops out of its base above the windshield. Just give it a tug and a twist. Then, the black plastic band around the glass comes off with a little bit of wiggling and prising. Once it is off, you will come to the clear glass protective cover for the mirror. Just take it off and go wash it up. Most of the fogginess will be on it. Beneath the clear glass is the mirror itself. Give the mirror a shot of Windex and a little rub. Take note of the springs inside the mirror which operate the day/night feature. I recall that they can pop out; but they are easy to put back together. Now, put the clean clear glass back over the mirror and secure it with the black plastic band. Make sure the plastic band snaps firmly back into place. Go stick the whole assembly back into its base. Voile! Now you can see the jerk in the Lexus bearing down on you. Anyone--let him know if I missed something

·
Registered
532 Posts
Or, if the mirror has degraded from age, just take the two pieces to a glass shop and have some duplicates cut. Last time I did this it cost me ~$8, IIRC.

·
Registered
150 Posts
And I thought the solution was a new mirror or live life with the "fog"

Thanks Igbalfa for asking!

Dan

p.s. I pretend my Alfa goes really slow when I get old leadfoot behind me and then lose em on the corners :D

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
awesome - thanks for the advice

·
Registered
105 Posts
Great news and nice weekend project
Thanks for the info

·
Registered
374 Posts
Be sure and follow DavidH's advice and remove the mirror first. I once tried a shortcut by prying the rim off with the mirror in place. The rim popped off all at once and the glass dropped onto the shifter and shattered.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Look behind me???....I don't need to look behind me....all I see is people pissed because they spent a ton on money to get passed by an Alfa...:D

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I just finished this little project after reading the above. What a huge difference. 2 little tabs on top and 2 on bottom. No springs, no problems. Took about 10 minutes, while drinking coffee and watching F1 practice.
Mine was bad to the point where I didn't like to drive at night.
Thanks!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Just remember the first rule of Italian driving, "What's behind me is not important!" - Franco (Raul Julia), The Gumball Rally

·
Registered
150 Posts
and then he proceeds to rip off the rearview mirror and tosses it over his shoulder!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I just cleaned two rear view mirrors ('86 and '91) a few days ago. The pivot joints on both mirrors were very tight and need a lot of force to adjust the viewing angle. I added a couple drops of machine lubricating oil at the pivot ball area. They are still quite tight but I can turn them easier now when they are mounted (instead of worrying the possibility of riping them out and breaking them).

BTW, there's no metal spring inside for the day/night angle toggle mechanism. It is just a plastic piece with a "folding" edge that pop to the front or to the back. This edge is broken in my '86 and the mirror can flop around making it hard to adjust and stay in a particular viewing position. I put some electrical tape in there to make the toggle harder to move. I think we'll likely use it as a one position mirror (better than a flopping mirror) for now!

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cleaned the mirror today. looks great. thanks again.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I've got a little writeup on my website (which needs to be updated), too.

http://www.alfajournal.com/february_2006.htm

If you're careful, you can do it without removing the mirror from the vehicle. I've done it on two cars without a problem. Just don't break the part labeled "trim" above.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks DavidH !! I can see again!!!!!!!

Thanks for your short and precise answer on how to "clear up" the fog problem on the rear view mirror...I can see again!!!!!! Thanks. I love this web site.

·
Registered
447 Posts
David: I also have a Red Alfa Spider Veloce, a 1993. I need tires and shocks...any suggestions? Thanks, Norm (stock wheels)
Since I am fairly new in Alfa World, too (< a year), I can only give you a little info. I know that others know more about this, and they might chime in here. In the meantime, try a search of the Spider section using the terms "tires" and "shocks." There have been bunches of discussions on the subjects. I do know that Koni shocks are really popular and well-regarded. They make two kinds for our cars -- classic "Reds" and sporty "Yellows." Which you use depends on your budget and driving style. As for tires, there are all kinds of recommendations in earlier discussions. It comes down to your price ceiling, your driving style, and (as far as I can tell) the sign you were born under. Good driving!

·
Registered
142 Posts
DavidH writes "First, the entire mirror assembly - stalk and all - just pops out of its base above the windshield. Just give it a tug and a twist." Will this work on a 1988 ? I just want a little encouragement. When I tried to remove the mirror last night is seem to be on there pretty tight. I was afraid of breaking something.

thanks - Terry

1 - 20 of 44 Posts