Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 GTV 76 Alfetta GT
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an Alfetta that sat for a while with the valve cover off. I pulled the head to replace the head gasket and noticed some dirt down the timing chain cover. Any tips on cleaning as I don't want to pull the cover if I don't have to. Does the lower cover connect to the oil pan? Thinking about using solvent down the cover and pulling the oil pan to flush it out?
I'm doing my best to minimize any dirt getting into the oil pump and bearings.

·
Premium Member
22,804 Posts
Yes, the timing cover bolts to the oil pan. I'd do as much manual as possible, rags, spray cleaners, carb cleaner. YOu can get the pan off an Alfetta in situ but it's still not much fun
Andrew

·
Registered
74 GTV 76 Alfetta GT
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice on the oil pan as I've yet to pull one on an Alfetta. Think I'll just get some rags and do what you suggested.

·
Premium Member
22,804 Posts
Removing the front cover requires removing the head and the crank pulley. A lot of work.
Andrew

·
Registered
74 GTV 76 Alfetta GT
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes doing my best to avoid to avoid removal of the front cover.

The timing chain had fallen into the bottom cover and in a moment of sheer stupidity I turned the engine coiling the chain. It took a bit but eventually got the chain free but it will need replacing after noticing a bent link or two.

Luckily the head came off relatively easy using the rope trick. Not much corrosion on the head studs so feeling lucky in that regard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts