Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am sadly considering selling the very nice 87 Gold that acquired over the winter. It is a very nice driver with a little over 100K miles. I have the complete service history of the car from new. Has had three legit owners prior to me (and one flipper). Georgia, Virginia and North Carolina car for most of its life.

I am not sure where to price the car, so I thought I would ask the enthusiasts here.

Recent maintenance that I've performed includes:

Complete tune up (plugs, wires, rotor, cap)
Front guibo replacement
Reinforced rear engine mount with roof sealant
Brake flush
New front Koni yellows, good used rear Koni reds
New fuel filler hose
Good refinished Ansa cat back
Used alternator, coolant reservoir

Previous owner overhauled A/C, timing belt/tensioner, new mid pipe, new rotors, pads and rear calipers, resealed transaxle, new windshield. He is an AlfaBB member (Alfast).

No accidents and decent original paint (a bit thin in spots). Polishes out nicely but will fade a bit due to summer sun. Interior is very clean and dash is crack free.

Car has the usual Alfa-isms, including blinking ARC, rust in the trunk lid where the reflector strip holds water, delaminating rear door seal felts, flattened front door elbow rests, droopy headliner, tempermental second gear synchros.

However the car runs and handles great. Here is a pic (I can also provide the original 14-in bottle cap wheels with tires, too). Comes with some good used spares including radiator/fan, thermostat housing, AFM etc.

I will detail and post in the F/S section if the consensus value is what I'd like to get. If not, I'll just keep it and enjoy it.

Here's a pic:

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Post more pics please. Where is the car located, still in the South? From your description and single photo I'd say $2000 to $2500 maybe.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Post more pics please. Where is the car located, still in the South? From your description and single photo I'd say $2000 to $2500 maybe.
Touche...not posting pics makes it hard to provide an accurate valuation :grin2:. I do feel your estimate is low based on condition of the vehicle.

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
17,388 Posts
Looks very good, but why does it appear to be jacked up in the rear, esp in picture 4, or is that just an illusion? Ours didn't look like that when we bought it new.

Wish we had the Gold seats like yours. Our 89 Gold came new with Silver seats.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Much better, looks real nice. $3500 plus, hard to get them this clean. Right buyer $4500? Good luck!

Am I the only person who had a Gold that had leather seats? I've never seen another.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Oh and here's the rear stance on mine. Looks similar I think. I think 87's were a tad higher than others.

Attachments

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
17,388 Posts
" I think 87's were a tad higher than others."

Could be. Ours is an 89.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. Now to ponder the decision to list or not to list. It was so much fun driving it this afternoon.

And yes, the 87 rear ends are very high compared to other model years.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I wish I still had one of my Milano Golds, just add ltd slip and they're perfect! I daily drove a white '89 from 2003-2011.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wish I still had one of my Milano Golds, just add ltd slip and they're perfect! I daily drove a white '89 from 2003-2011.
Well...you can buy this one :wink2:

On a side note the steering rack finally decided to blow out this weekend. I think it had been leaking into the boot, and then pressure built blew out the boot. Thankfully I was just pulling into a Starbucks when it smoked up, so I was able to cut the pump pulley. Not really looking forward to replacing that sucker, oh well!

My buddy has a parts Platinum that I've been harvesting parts from. It has a limited slip diff, but I don't think I'll be able to pry that away from him - it is for his GTV6.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I was on the APE website last night looking at pictures of cars they have had their in the past, in various states of dismemberment and I had a really strange emotional reaction to viewing those photos... and by God, thank you for the guys at APE. They do a great service to all of us.. But that noted, seeing these cars getting junked for one cause or another was just a bummer... they are special. They truly are.

So, as I read your message - inquiring about fair price.. I turn my head far away from reality and toward what we know.

Don't consider the value of the open market. The people on here ARE the target audience for these cars and they (like everyone), are always looking for a bargain. But, a nice clean Alfa, that has obviously been cared about - has a better value here - than anywhere else. We know, that cars that have been cared about will require less investment to get them to where we want them to be. Your car needs some attention on the 2nd gear, and some rust on the trunk and a goofy ARC. No doubt there are other expenses encountered when you buy any Alfa, if you're smart... timing belt, fluid/filter changes, maybe new tires if needed, brakes... etc.. perhaps worse. But the grins per mile factor on a nice Milano after it has been sorted, far exceeds anything you would charge for it. I bought two Milano's this past year, a GOLD and a Verde. I paid 2k for the GOLD, and sold it after a couple of weeks to my good friend Ian, who is an ALFA Guru,
and he does all his own work - and he's now into it for a cpl of grand, and it is a beautiful car - and boy does it drive nicely. You could not replace it for what he is now into it for, and if you did, it wouldn't be a car that delivers nearly as much fun.

So, I'd say 4k.. is a good price, but honestly.. that's because the world thinks of these as cars... but we all know - they are more than cars, now aren't they?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. Driving the car on a nice long highway trip this weekend has me leaning towards keeping it. Now to roll up sleeves, clean up accumulated mess from drippy rack and assess the situation. I am going to attempt the Lucas stop leak trick first.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
3g's my friend. Now that the rack is SOL. These cars are on the downslope. In the southwest they fare much better as there is no rain, but red paint does not like the sun. A/C probably dead if not feeble. And as for fun to drive, it hard to discern any real difference to the average driver - until you take it to certain limits where it's unusual suspension shows it's merits. Other than that, it's a boxy sedan that is different, but it takes a certain breed to own. People nowadays don't even change their own oil, much less deal with the various idiosyncrasies of this particular model! So yes, you need to sell to an Alfisi. At this point, more and more systems will start to need attention and the 'ol "nickel & dime" syndrome will rear it's ugly head (nickel being 500 and dime 1000) That being said, it's no car for the checkbook owner.
I've owned and daily drove a Verde and a Gold so I aughta' know. Good luck with it. Seems like a decent example.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
3g's my friend. Now that the rack is SOL. These cars are on the downslope. In the southwest they fare much better as there is no rain, but red paint does not like the sun. A/C probably dead if not feeble. And as for fun to drive, it hard to discern any real difference to the average driver - until you take it to certain limits where it's unusual suspension shows it's merits. Other than that, it's a boxy sedan that is different, but it takes a certain breed to own. People nowadays don't even change their own oil, much less deal with the various idiosyncrasies of this particular model! So yes, you need to sell to an Alfisi. At this point, more and more systems will start to need attention and the 'ol "nickel & dime" syndrome will rear it's ugly head (nickel being 500 and dime 1000) That being said, it's no car for the checkbook owner.
I've owned and daily drove a Verde and a Gold so I aughta' know. Good luck with it. Seems like a decent example.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I don't necessarily agree with your statements.

If I was the average driver do you think I would have chosen a RWD Alfa Romeo? There are plenty of car enthusiasts who prefer cars that have souls. While a Milano won't appeal to your average soccer mom or wall street financier, it will occupy a place in the hearts of car lovers.

As far as systems, I'm not sure what you mean. It's not like this car is much different than any other Euro car of its era - Bosch FI, ZF rack, disc brakes, etc. Sure it might have some issues, but any BMW, Volvo, MB, etc. is going to have similar maintenance needs.

Yes the rack will be a bit of a PIA to replace, but not a deal breaker, and at $390 from Centerline not priced that ridiculous either. Hey it served its purpose for almost 30 years so ***. I will turn my own wrench, so labor is just my time over a weekend.

The A/C blows just fine (new components from PO) and yes the rust in the trunklid is a bit of a nuisance, but at the same time not terribly bothersome.

As they say, they ain't makin' any more, and while POS neglected examples are headed to the junkyard, nice well-maintained drivers like this one will just become more valuable over time. My 2 cents...

·
Premium Member
4,783 Posts
my 02 cents. You don't sound like you want to sell it. Nice car. Here they are not worth much 'cept to a very particular audience. Reality is it's worth whatever someone is willing ot pay for it. Ask 45 and see where (if) you wind up with someone in front of you with some cash. good luck with whatever road you choose. ciao jc

1 - 17 of 17 Posts