Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was contemplating purchasing a carpet set in grey for my ‘71 Gtv from classicalfa, they don’t have any carpet samples. Presently I have the original type salt and pepper grey but it has faded in areas. Has anyone purchased a set from them, if so can you post a photo, describe quality, fit and finish. Thx.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Can't help you with feedback on Classic Alfa's offering, other than to say a car I saw with this carpet recently looked good but didn't look authentic, as the material was a solid colour, rather than the more complicated 'grey' of the original. So, I would also be very interested to hear if any knows of a source for an accurate reproduction of the 'salt and pepper' charcoal grey carpet that was so common on Alfas of the era.

With all the repro. parts you can get now, some of them relatively obscure, it seems amazing to me that this material doesn't appear to be available anywhere.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, Reoriginals sells the salt and pepper style with jute backing but it’s $630 witch is where I bought this carpet from. But I’m not so happy how it faded. Let’s see if someone else replies.

·
Premium Member
21,811 Posts
I bought a kit from OKP, which may be the same one Classic Alfa sells? It was the cheaper kit, generic, fit Juniors and GTs. I didn't want to spend a ton, was basically happy. But some of the fit was not that great, has cutouts for different seat mount locations, and you wouldn't mistake the color or material for the original wool. It is a more solid grey, not salt and pepper, and has a plasticy shine to it.

I got a $$ wool kit years ago from World Upholstery for my Super that was closer to blue than grey, and didn't fit great either. The wool was nice but has become dingy and holed after 20 years.

Andrew

·
Super Moderator
10,801 Posts
With all the repro. parts you can get now, some of them relatively obscure, it seems amazing to me that this material doesn't appear to be available anywhere
Boy, I agree 100%. I'm no upholstery expert, but here's what I've concluded after dealing with these issues over several restorations:

- FIT: My sense is that a good upholsterer can make carpets that fit better than the generic sets. This is true for seat covers, as well as carpets, and is probably not the vendors' fault - it's hard to make a "one size fits all" kit, due to differences in padding thickness, snap location, manufacturing tolerances, etc.

- INSTALLATION: I bought a transmission tunnel carpet from a well-respected vendor last fall, brought it to my upholsterer to install, and he felt that my old carpet (not factory - something I got from IAP 30 years ago) fit better. He said the issue was that the material was too stiff to conform to the compound curves of the tunnel because the carpets were made from material intended for building flooring - not automobiles. That material's backing is quite stiff, since a home/building floor is flat with no compound curves.

- COLOR: Don't know why, but the vendors can't seem to source non-shiny, pepper & salt carpet. The carpet I bought recently had that synthetic look. When I restored my Sprint a decade or so ago, I just had the upholsterer make carpets from generic salt & pepper, non-shiny material. They look good and fit well, though he got the shapes all wrong (e.g., where one piece of carpet ends and the next begins) since we didn't have OE carpets to use as a pattern..

·
Premium Member
21,811 Posts
Other than the color, the biggest issue on mine was the driver's side floor piece was wide, so overlapped the rubber scuff pad on the tunnel piece. They should meet down at the base of the tunnel but instead met a couple inches up. Frustrating but not something I lost sleep over.
Andrew

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I too have bought a Wilton wool set for my 66 GTV from World Upholstery in grey, or I should say bluish grey. It lasted well but just didn't want to go there, cost wise. Classic Doesn’t have any samples to give out.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
My car is a 1974 which had the one piece molded carpet from the factory, which had shrunk over the years and always pull out at the door sills.

I ordered a set of GTV carpets from another UK supplier. While I was finishing the installation, I noticed the three pieces (console, driver's floor and driver's footwell) that overlap under the gas pedal became so thick there was no way the pedal would reach anything near full throttle. Took the carpets out, went to a friend who has a Euro GTV with the original multi piece carpets and compared. Every piece from the new set was about an inch and a half wider all around.

I started to think they had sold me a Giulia Super set; I contacted them and they replied they got all their sets made that way because people complained about some pieces being too narrow. They did not accept any responsibility but accepted return at my expense. It cost me at least $200 to ship it back across the ocean... but before shipping them, I traced patterns of every piece, one and a half inch smaller all around, cut them from material bought locally and had a local upholsterer sew the edges for a very reasonable cost. So I didn't do so bad overall.

And I noticed the other day the pile up is still a bit much under the pedal. An inch and a half was not enough.

Think twice before ordering carpets from overseas. Or ask them and refer to this discussion.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tip. My carpets are in great shape, just faded in areas. Maybe I can have them dyed, it won’t be salt and pepper but might be the best option.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
- COLOR: Don't know why, but the vendors can't seem to source non-shiny, pepper & salt carpet. The carpet I bought recently had that synthetic look. When I restored my Sprint a decade or so ago, I just had the upholsterer make carpets from generic salt & pepper, non-shiny material. They look good and fit well, though he got the shapes all wrong (e.g., where one piece of carpet ends and the next begins) since we didn't have OE carpets to use as a pattern..
Jay

I'm quite happy to pay someone qualified and experienced to make the carpets, if I can find a fairly accurate material to make them out of. As has been noted in the comments here, it's about a number of things; colour, sheen, thickness, backing etc. So, do you have any leads on the material you used?

Thanks

Andrew

·
Super Moderator
10,801 Posts
I'm quite happy to pay someone qualified and experienced to make the carpets, if I can find a fairly accurate material to make them out of. As has been noted in the comments here, it's about a number of things; colour, sheen, thickness, backing etc. So, do you have any leads on the material you used?
Well, here's the story (to the best of my recollection). I had chosen a small, local, one-man upholstery shop. The owner/proprietor was a great craftsman, but knew nothing about Alfa Romeos. When we got to the carpet, he pulled out his books of carpet samples and suggested that I chose something that seemed about right. After a couple minutes of looking at the colors, feeling the textures, I found a salt-n-pepper sample and said "uh, this one looks good". The process wasn't any more scientific than that.

I checked my receipts and see that in March of 2008 I purchased "C5827 Aqua Turf charcoal R33" from A-1 Foam & Fabrics in Santa Ana. Typing that into Google, I find that there is a boat carpet made by Aqua Turf; Amazon carries it: Amazon.com: 28 oz. Pontoon Boat Carpet - 8' Wide x Various Lengths (Choose Your Color!) (Charcoal, 8' x 10'): Beauty

I should stress again that I am no expert on upholstery. I chose this stuff without having an original, unfaded piece of '66 Sprint GT carpet to compare it with. So I'm certainly not suggesting that C5827 Aqua Turf charcoal is the "gold standard" in duplicating 54-year old Alfa carpet material. But I am saying that it looks better than the solid-color, synthetic fiber material used in many kits.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
OK, see my edits/additions to post #12
Thanks for that Jay.

Looking at the Amazon page you link to, the charcoal 'salt and pepper'pattern could be a bit too pronounced when compared to the original sample I have here, which has quite a subtle pattern but it's certainly a lot closer than anything else I've seen so far and, most importantly, actually available.

Andrew

·
Super Moderator
10,801 Posts
Looking at the Amazon page you link to, the charcoal 'salt and pepper'pattern could be a bit too pronounced when compared to the original sample I have here, which has quite a subtle pattern but it's certainly a lot closer than anything else I've seen so far and, most importantly, actually available.
Thanks for that feedback - as I mentioned, I didn't have the benefit of an original sample of the "salt & pepper" carpet. The actual Aqua Turf charcoal carpet might be a bit less "pronounced" than the picture on Amazon shows, but I can certainly believe that it isn't an exact match for the OE carpet.

I also have a 1970 BMW 2800 CS, and the people on the BMW bulletin boards have this same conversation about the difficulty in reproducing the original carpet. My car, which I've had since 1989, came with its original blue-black carpet. Unfortunately, this was glued-down, and was destroyed when I had to have the floors replaced. Despite all the people restoring BMW 2002's (which used the same carpet material), as well as 6-cyl CS coupes, there are no good reproductions of this material available in either Europe or the US.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
I'm pretty sure my carpet is original, as I'm only the second owner of my early ' 67 GTV and I've had it since the mid eighties (bought as soon as I got a proper job after graduation) and it had been off the road in a garage for a few years even then, as the original owner wasn't using it. I use the section that was hidden from the sun around the gear lever as a sample.

it is weird that no one wants to make proper carpet for all these pricey marques. You'd think some manufacturer with CNC controlled looms could easily make a short production run of suitable carpet material.

The only carpet that really needs replacing in mine is the section in the Driver's side footwell, as the original owner put a large piece of wood about an inch thick under the carpet on that side to raise his feet up relative to the pedals and damaged the carpet as a result, since there was no longer a rubber mat to protect it. The rest of it is in really good condition, so, of course, that means whatever I do use has to match the original...

Andrew

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Hopefully you can see the original pattern in my sample from around the gear lever. The upper grubby bit below the Gear Lever Boot is exposed to dirt and light inside the car, the lower slightly lighter and greyer section is permanently covered by the Tunnel Carpet, so is pretty much as it was when placed by the Factory I think. On my PC the colour is a good match for the original, so hopefully it looks the same on whatever device you are looking at in on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts