Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
It seems this topic was touched on before. People wanted to know what this piston looked like. I am about to order all my parts to rebuild my 74 2l gtv due to previous rebuild used new pistons and rings but old liners, out of spec and smoked badly 馃様. I am deciding on suppliers. I see a Motronic is 10:1 and Borgos 10:4, they list the Nural as 10.4:1

Then while watching scuderiasilvas video made in 2014 on his Alfa nord rebuild he is using the Nural p/l and they have a flat top. And look very similar to the Motronic style.

I know federal mogul owns Nural and now Borgo also. I have emailed multiple people at classic Alfa for a description, and have yet to receive a response. This would greatly simplify from multiple vendors to a single vendor. I have asked for ring size so I can change to a three piece style ring. It鈥檚 very frustrating.

Has anyone ordered this p/l combo? Is it flat top like Motronic or round top liek the out of favour borgos?

Sincerely, quinn

Registered
It seems this topic was touched on before. People wanted to know what this piston looked like. I am about to order all my parts to rebuild my 74 2l gtv due to previous rebuild used new pistons and rings but old liners, out of spec and smoked badly . I am deciding on suppliers. I see a Motronic is 10:1 and Borgos 10:4, they list the Nural as 10.4:1

Then while watching scuderiasilvas video made in 2014 on his Alfa nord rebuild he is using the Nural p/l and they have a flat top. And look very similar to the Motronic style.

I know federal mogul owns Nural and now Borgo also. I have emailed multiple people at classic Alfa for a description, and have yet to receive a response. This would greatly simplify from multiple vendors to a single vendor. I have asked for ring size so I can change to a three piece style ring. It鈥檚 very frustrating.

Has anyone ordered this p/l combo? Is it flat top like Motronic or round top liek the out of favour borgos?

Sincerely, quinn
Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I recently rebuilt mine. It had AE Borgo 7222 pistons (10.4:1) and ring size was 84 mm. Changed items included oil pump and a cracked crankshaft (yes... ), but not the forged pistons and conrods... The liners were very slightly opaque and I elected to keep them... Good compression, no overheating, no leaks (so far)...
Must add that you would want a decent camshaft profile to match the higher compression.

Sent from my F8332 using Tapatalk

Registered
I wanted to mount the flat-headed nural seen in the video of the scuderiasilvas.
I searched at fairs and among retailers, it seems that there are still some specimens available only in Germany.
I finally mounted an original kit.
In the nural catalog the motronic flat head pistons have the code 89-110200-40.
I'd be curious to know if anyone tried them and get some pictures.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
That鈥檚 very interesting and also confirms what I saw in the Nural catalogue. So that leads me to believe. The Nural P/L kit from classic has a Borgo style piston head.

Does anyone know about the Paul Spruell Motronic style P/L kit? Weight in comparison etc? I see you can order a conventional total seal ring kit with it. Seems like a good value? Anyone have anything to add?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts