Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need the tool to pull the radio on an '89 Milano. Anyone got one to sell/borrow that I could maybe duplicate/buy? It's like got two hooklike ends with a chain in the middle. I need to pull the radio to get the codes, lookup those and have a radio going. I know, it's a crummy radio, no bass, cassette player, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
Go to a local high end car stereo store and see if they have one that will work for you. I picked a up a free tool from such a place to take the old Alpine unit out of my Spider. Usually they have a bunch of these lying around as they install/uninstall so many headunits. Most new radios will give you a tool and usually the customers don't ask for the "extra" stuff that came in the box, so parts such as this usually tend to pile up for them. Another tip: if you are installing a set of new speakers, but don't like the ultra modern grills that the new ones come with ask your local car stereo store if they have any old grills laying around. They usually keep a bin of this kind of stuff and most of the times will might be able to swap out and find something a little more subdued or old school to use instead of the Star Trek looking grills that your new speakers came with.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll check out that lead. I remember the Clarion tool as having a recess in each of the two ends per side of the tool ends. Not very complicated, but without the code, redio won't play anyway.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,732 Posts
Just cut a wire coat hanger and bend it into a U-shape. One for each side. That's what came with my Milano and it works like a champ.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll try it. I'll certainly try it!

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did the coathanger thing and it worked! The fingers that lock the chassis are pushed down and out of the way by the coathanger wires, then you can gently pry the unit out. Next step is to get the code going from ALFA PARTS. Someday I'll put a real radio in that plays cds and stuff and has some power. I've also got a bass tube laying around that came from Overstock.com.

Thanks for the help.:cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts