Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Guys

I have an 84 Alfa Spider and I need a cigarette lighter for it. Can I just buy a generic one an put it in or I mean universal. If I can any come to mind. I dont smoke but I like to stream music with my Blackberry or use Gps for it.

Can u guys let me know.

Angel:D

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
FWIW, if you've a scrapyard nearby the whole lighter assembly, including light ring, from a late~90's Saturn SL series 4 door will more or less go right in there with minimal modification.

There's just a wee bit of material that needs to come off a ridge on the side of the light ring, or a small notch cut into the console hole. Either/or, it's just to clear a rib on the side of the light ring.

Once installed, it looks fairly close to stock actually.

'Course if you aren't worried about a light bezel, then yeah, a generic one off the shelf should do you just fine with no fussing about. Measure the hole and get a housing that has a flange big enough to cover said hole. (there may be a breakover point where you have to go one size smaller to fit and make a trim ring to cover something that peeks out underneath though)

Alternatively if you don't have an existing lighter hole you could get a 'lighter on a whip' (standard generic lighter, but in a housing by itself with a foot or so of wire already on it) and tap it into the fusebox then run it under the seat or somewhere else covert. Even tying in under the rear parcel shelf (+ive to fused wire servicing the drive relay -ive to chassis) and leaving the head accessable from the velcro flap wouldn't be out of the question.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Interestingly, my oem lighter which works great as a lighter [i dont smoke either] does not work as a 12v supply for chargers like my blackberry charger as the diametre of the lighter socket is larger than most standard sockets so you may actually be helping yourself by replacing it with some generic/universal type that still looks the part.

·
Administrator
17,371 Posts
Does your Spider not have any cigarette lighter or one that doesn't work? I thought they all had one - meaning a cigarette lighter, not one that doesn't work...

I replaced the one in our '84 Spider with a generic 12V outlet. It does not function as a cigarette lighter but works fine as a 12V power source for GPS, cell phone, etc.

I also wired one of those with a long extension direct to the battery with an in line fuse in the positive lead. I fed the wires though the rear bulkhead placed the outlet on the parcel shelf behind the seats. I use that one for both 12V power and as an easy way to check battery power.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just my thoughts but if you are not going to use it a a cig lighter then it would be best to replace it with a 12v accessory outlet, heres the reason:

While not all are the same you will notice that some cig lighters will actually short out and blow the fuse when anything other then a cig lighter is inserted due to the design of them, once again this does not happen with all of them however if you ever look in lets say a newer style truck you will see a cig lighter and 12v accessory outlet look inside each and you will see they are not designed the same way, some 12v accessories will also get stuck in a cig lighter oulet due to the design. Most do not have this problem but some do. Therefore if your not going to use it as a cig lighter then I would personally just install a universal 12v accessory outlet instead.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Removing OE Cigarette Lighter

OK, just how does one remove the original cigarette lighter from my 87 Quad? This will save me fumbling around and possibly doing expensive damage.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
You should be able to get it out of there by removing the ashtray to gain access to the back side.
There'll be a ground, a keyed hot and a wire servicing the bezel ring light socket.

Standard lighter assembly with the outside barrel being screwed onto the inside barrel at the lower/inner end with the console sandwiched in between the two at the upper/outer end.
Try to prevent the inside from turning and work the outer barrel as to not potentially screw up the bezel as it has an alignment notch on it that engages the console hole.
(the bezel is old, sun baked, prolly brittle, and a bit of a ****sucker to find a replacement for should it break)

Not a big deal if you can't prevent it turning during disassembly, just more betterer if you can.
Putting it back together will have you wanting to keep things steady though.

You may find that a couple wires are push on blade connections while the other is a loop over a stud retained with a nut.
If you can get away with just loosening the nut to allow things to turn and move then get it the rest of the way off once you've gotten the thing mostly out of there and have actual room to control it well, you'll find it's a lot more fun and less head bashing than taking it all the way off and almost immediately dropping the nut and possibly its washer, down into the depths of the console to be un~retrievable unless you take said console apart. (or get lucky and can pry the bottom edge of a side far enough to let it drop out)

Been there, done that.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Once you remove the ashtray assembly there is only one phillips headed screw which holds in the sub console which holds the 3 square switches, the cig lighter assembly, and the missor adjustment switch. Unplug the 3 block switches (they are not innerchangable and you can't reinstall them incorrectly. Pull the tiny plastic center leaver out of the mirror adjustment switch, unscrew the ring bezel and push out the mirror switch. When you lift out the sub console panel you can unplug the cig lighter and then work on it out of the car. Just be careful with the sub console as these are plastic with terribly thin seperations and easily broken. (They are also unobtainable if you break it. There is a NOS sub console panel for sale on ebay right now for $170.00 - just to let you know how hard they are to come by. I had to buy 3 used ones to get a good one without lighted cig burn marks in it). Once you have it out you can replace the original cig lighter assembly with a power socket or another kind of cig lighter assembly. You will probably need the sub console out anyway if you are installling anything but the OEM cig lighter assemble because you will have to do an electrical plug conversion to your original wireing harness where the OEM cig wireing plug connects to the OEM wireing harness. I have R and R'ed my sub consoel so many times I can remove one with a single phillips screwdriver in less than 3 minutes. Nothing to it!

Good Luck, Robert Hill in Memphis TN

1959 red Giulietta Spider Veloce
1988 black Spider Veloce
1988 red Spider Quad

1 - 9 of 9 Posts