Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Longtime Italian car entusiast, and neophyte Alfisto!
Just purchased a '91 164L, AT, 93k mileage, silver with nero interior. Basically a one-owner car and the owner's father was an Alfa dealer many years ago.
Car is being prepped for state inspection prior to registration, pictures will follow.
I am a Maserati owner (on my 3rd one) and learning about the Alfa brand.
Car appears to be stock. Car will be daily driver, more so in winter than summer but frankly I would expect to put less than 5,000 miles per year on it.
I am exploring your Forum for general information.

I will definitely replace the tires but also considering different wheels as well.

Wondering what the consensus opinion on optimal rim size is?

Thank you and looking forward to participating on the Forum.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Welcome:) I know you will enjoy the ride, both in the Alfa and on the BB.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Welcome to the Alfa BB!

You've got a great car there. I got my Alfa well over a year ago, and since then it's been great. Lots of work at times, but learn about it, take care of it, and you'll definitely get back much more in return.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want to have the car looked at by a very experienced Alfa mechanic.
Can anyone recommend someone in the Wash DC metro area (including Baltimore).

·
1991 164L
27,688 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Steve. I saw their listing and put them on my list to call tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
I wouldn't spend any money on upgrades until you have the thing gone through mechanically. When is the last time it has had a timing belt and water pump, etc.? A pretty car with new wheels my look nice, but it makes no difference if the thing doesn't move under its own power six months down the road. It's an old car and its going to need important mechanical things first most likely. If that doesn't blow the budget I'd be surprised. Just being realistic here. It's not the type of car you can ignore the mechanicals stuff on and expect it to return trouble free miles forever. Once confident that all has been done that needs doing, then upgrades make sense.
Charles

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks ChazzyD for your response. I am no stranger to Italian cars although Alfa is a new one for me. I am on my 3rd Maserati (currently have an '06 GranSport) so I know about maintenance. The car I bought seems to be in good shape andI will take it to a qualified shop for a thorough going-over.

·
Premium Member
9,880 Posts
Spend the money on getting it tight, then come see me for upgrades and info. Difatta will make the car tight. I can help with making more fun that it already is!!

Welcome.
Jason

Thanks ChazzyD for your response. I am no stranger to Italian cars although Alfa is a new one for me. I am on my 3rd Maserati (currently have an '06 GranSport) so I know about maintenance. The car I bought seems to be in good shape andI will take it to a qualified shop for a thorough going-over.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks all for the comments and recommendations. Before I make the trip to Baltimore (about 50 miles) I was wondering if anyone had any experience with a shop in Falls Church VA, London Auto. I saw them on a couple of other Alfa-related websites. This would be much closer if it's equally proficient and would be more convenient on an on-going basis.
Even closer would be Milano Motors in Kensington MD. Anybody know them?
Just looking for options.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Made an appointment for Friday with DiFatta Brothers.
Thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Following your advice, I took the "new" car in today meet Paul at di Fatta.
Turns out car is pretty much as solid as I had hoped. A couple of belts changed, some cosmetic fixes (power mirrors, interior light). Paul tweaked a few things to improve some issues at idle and low gear. Since I don't know the last timing belt replacement he suggested that I do one and I agree, will take it back for that.
He deserves the high praise and stellar reputation from forum members. Well worth the trip.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts