Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I happened to be going through my photo files and discovered I had a pic of a 2600-related advertisement that explained everything: (including the chassis flex with accompanying driver "lean" on the turns). Shades of 007? (you may have seen this before, but I resurrect it in case you need something with which to forget whatever 2600-related woes you may be dealing with at the moment)

Photograph Car Black Motor vehicle Eyelash

·
Registered
24 Posts
I happened to be going through my photo files and discovered I had a pic of a 2600-related advertisement that explained everything: (including the chassis flex with accompanying driver "lean" on the turns). Shades of 007? (you may have seen this before, but I resurrect it in case you need something with which to forget whatever 2600-related woes you may be dealing with at the moment)

View attachment 1745897

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
I think it resembles an old Borgward Isabella convertible, but the picture's been retouched to avoid that Borgward diamond motif in the grille.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Reactions: ballough510

·
Administrator
'66 Sprint GT, '67 Duetto, '70 BMW 2800CS
13,071 Posts
I think it resembles an old Borgward Isabella convertible
Yea, it resembles a Borgward Isabella. But the shape of the grille and bumper are quite different from the ones in the photo you posted. Did people worry enough about lawsuits back in those days to intentionally obscure the brand of car whose brakes had supposedly failed? On the other hand, the ad copy explicitly states that he is driving an Alfa Romeo.

I guess they couldn't write: "Mr. perfect hair is driving his Alfa Romeo through the Pyrenees, while the cute girl is driving some POS Borgward with dodgy brakes".

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
I suspect you're right Jay, artistic license. The car has a little Borgward, Sunbeam Alpine, MG Midget, etc. I hadn't considered that Vaseline could be sued for going down that slippery slope but that makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Yea, it resembles a Borgward Isabella. But the shape of the grille and bumper are quite different from the ones in the photo you posted. Did people worry enough about lawsuits back in those days to intentionally obscure the brand of car whose brakes had supposedly failed? On the other hand, the ad copy explicitly states that he is driving an Alfa Romeo.

I guess they couldn't write: "Mr. perfect hair is driving his Alfa Romeo through the Pyrenees, while the cute girl is driving some POS Borgward with dodgy brakes".
Well I would say the answer to your question in the first paragraph is yes. Just as it is today, back then every company had their attorneys close at hand!
I think I detect that photo had been retouched, anyway that's what we called it back in the time long before Photoshop. 😁 If not, maybe it's one of those little-known models from an obscure British cottage manufacturer back in the day.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
I think it looks more than a little like a Daimler

Reactions: alfaloco

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I think Daimler and Borgward are too upscale.
The simplicity of the dashboard of the car in the ad would indicate an entry-level car.
BTW, has anybody else noticed the 2600 Spider is a USA version?

Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Vehicle Grille

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Photograph Motor vehicle Carnivore People Art

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
I think it looks more than a little like a Daimler

The car in the ad is much too handsome to be a Daimler SP250. Those were the ugly ducklings of the sports car world (and still are IMO).

My money is on a modified Midget. Midget's had hood and side strips and a spartan dash. Check out the similarities to a Midget steering wheel (I think they added a third spoke to throw people off), rear view mirror (including the tonneau cover stud to the right), ignition switch location, windshield frame, etc. Funny, they pulled the mirror off for the close up between the two love birds.
Vehicle Speedometer Gear shift Car Gauge

1 - 20 of 21 Posts