Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yes, i know this is heresy, but i would like to put chrome side mirrors on my white 1991 spider. I will save the original mirrors for reuse. any thoughts on brand/model that will fit existing holes and look great?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,035 Posts
I have chrome (or stainless) trapezoidal mirrors on my '79 in place of the original black plastic ones. The left side is useful but the right side is of little value - it needs a convex mirror. They look OK but the quality is not good. The plastic bead around the mirror cracks and eventually falls off. I am considering replacing them with bullet style mirrors which can be had in plain or concave lens. I just have to convince myself that they will look OK.

I don't worry about what other people think of my cars, except maybe my wife. Life is too short to worry about other people's taste.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
FWIW,

I don't know if the S4 side mirrors are any different than the S3. But if they are the same as the Vitaloni outside mirrors painted same color as the vehicle, then there are occasionally stainless steel Vitaloni mirrors offered for sale on the net. My Quad originally came with the painted outside shell Vitalonis, but I bought a pair of stainless steel Vitalonis from pininfarina which are now on my 88 Quad. (see photos before and after) They were very expensive (over $300 for the pair, and they were used at that). I have no idea what was their original source, but if you contact pininfarina he may be able to help you out.

For what it is worth, just before I bought the stainless steel set from pininfarina, I had a good pair of outside shells chrome plated for my Quad. Since I bought the stainless steel set, I never used the chrome plated shells. They are for sale for $40.00 for the pair plus shipping. I will make a photo of them and add it to this post later.

Robert

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Robert:
S4 electric side mirrors are completely different than the ones on your S3.

I can't imagine any other mirror than stock would retain functionality of being remotely adjustable from the switch on the console and I don't find the painted finish of the original mirrors to be bad looking, myself.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
34acd.
Thanks for the clarification. Actually I have never seen an S4 up close and personal as there do not seem to be any S4s around Memphis, or at least around the Midtown area where I live. I have to say, the S4 mirrors are very good looking.

Robert

1 - 6 of 6 Posts