Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am a recently new owner of a '77 Spider that I "stole" from a friend that moved to Miami and could not take all of his cars. I am very glad I picked it up as he had the engine and transmission rebuilt about 4-5K miles ago, and converted over to dual Weber's from the SPICA (??). She runs and drives great (aside from a possible bad alternator) just is in need of some cosmetics hence where this post was going...

In the above photos, you see that the car still has the chrome/rubber body molding above the blood groove...and the Vitilini (??) mirrors. I was thinking of leaving the molding off when after I replace rocker panels and get her painted. I was also looking at the chrome mirrors as they seem to give it that classic look.

Anyone have any opinions on the body molding? I do like the clean look I have seen on some of the cars the same year. The only think is I don't see many with this, and my guess it was a custom ordered car originally due to some of the "upscale" factory appointments...like the light group (fog lamps were removed by PO), the steering wheel actually says something like "personalle". I know that my friend had it 10 years and didn't do to much in the way of customizing it, and was doing a slow restoration on it. Now he did do the carbs, performance cams, and the manifold and euro header on it...but I think that was more of the mechanic that convinced him on those...who is from Italy and runs a shop taking care of Ferrari's locally.

Just fishing for comments about the car. I know everyone has their own opinions, but just trying to get a few ideas on if I will be "butchering" her or not.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Take the side moulding off and put the chrome mirrors on it.....

Just my opinion, and worth every penny paid!!:D

·
Premium Member
21,353 Posts
I would leave the molding off, though that means welding up and finishing the rivet holes.

Andrew

·
Administrator
16,622 Posts
I believe the side moulding was a dealer applied item. The kind they'd buy wholesale for $5 and charge the buyer $250.

Our '84 had similar moulding. It was not in good shape. I removed it. Unfortunately it had been both glued and riveted on. So, until I get some body work done, our Spider has a row of holes along each side...

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
My car had it already on when I bought it. No doubt it's probably saved a few dings, but it's not an aesthetic enhancement. If I were repainting the car, I'd leave it off and fill the holes and be very very careful where I park . . . . like I do now with the nose.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I would leave it off too, she'll look a lot better without:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It really hides the blood groove on the car, and makes it look more like "sedan" than its' true background...

I really got a good deal I think on it, since he also threw in two extra interior panels (center console sides), a replacement dash that has only a small heat crack in it (with gauges!!), the Alfa Owners Bibles...and few other pieces. He originally wanted to just keep it at the house while he figured out if he wanted to sell it (somewhere in the $1500-1800 range), or save for a transplant car from out west. He needed a bicycle so he took my Cannondale, and I have the title... :D If I sold it for him the other way, I would have only made 10% for selling it, but since I have it tagged and insured...and the Jeep gets terrible gas mileage...hmm...and it is just a great car!! I had missed my old Saab convertible that the ex-wife made me get rid of (hence ex...har har).

·
Registered
69 Posts
My 79 spider is the same color but has the trim both above and below the "blood groove". I've thought about taking it of but I kind of like the unique look. I haven't seen others like it around yet.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hi Bruce:

I think I've seen that Spider around town, although not in a while - I recognized the mirrors. I'm in Lutz, and have a red '74, black '87, and now a silver '91. I'd say strip off the trim and get the period-correct chrome mirrors.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Bruce, Look carefully at the rust issues. If the PO was looking for a donor chassis there is a reason. If you do the body work take off the moldings and go with the chrome mirrors.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I asked a body guy I know about filling the holes on the Alfetta when I remove the trim on it. He says that there are some epoxy fillers out there that are made for that. They have some give to them and won't fall out with expansion and contraction.

Paul

·
Registered
532 Posts
I've never seen molding like that which wasn't self-adhesive. I've even seen it applied right in the showroom. What makes you think there are going to be rivet holes?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It appears to have rivets in it...as I moved the rubber center, and there are rivets...as well as inside the wheel well openings I can feel them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts