Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking at the five part W & D show on the Spider mini-resto, I'm thinking about replacing the BIG UGLY rubber thing on the front of my '75 Spider with chrome ones from an earlier model. I would need a grill to install as well.

Has anyone ever done this conversion and, if so, what problems might arise?

I'm sure the missing weight of the BIG UGLY thing would make the car sit higher in the front although there probably is a way to deal with that issue.

Anything else? Any good sources for the two chrome bumpers and grille?

Thanks. Ralph

·
Premium Member
3,568 Posts
Hi Ralph,

The only real problem is a source of funds. If you can't find used components, reproduction front bumpers are available, as well as commercially available mounting brackets. If you look under the little "false" grille trim piece above your rubber bumper, you will see that the bodywork actually has a semicircular indentation that matches the old style grille. Use the search function, and you will find lots of information regarding backdating rubber bumper spiders to the older stainless bumpers.

Go for it... I changed my '76 Spider, and am very pleased with the results.

After looking at the five part W & D show on the Spider mini-resto, I'm thinking about replacing the BIG UGLY rubber thing on the front of my '75 Spider with chrome ones from an earlier model. I would need a grill to install as well.

Has anyone ever done this conversion and, if so, what problems might arise?

I'm sure the missing weight of the BIG UGLY thing would make the car sit higher in the front although there probably is a way to deal with that issue.

Anything else? Any good sources for the two chrome bumpers and grille?

Thanks. Ralph

·
Banned
129 Posts
Another option is to replace the big metal/rubber bumpers with the fiberglass repro's that are available. Of course, the older stainless bumpers look nicer, at least to my eyes. I don't know that I'd mix and match, which is to say that I'd only replace the front if I did the rear, too.

·
Premium Member
13,454 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Conversion of 1975 rubber bumper to pre-1975 version

I have seen a lot of inquiries regarding the possibility of converting the black rubber 1975 spider bumpers to permit a chrome grill and either stainless or chromed bumpers. People have mentioned purchasing parts from Spider-point or from highwood alfa (UK). Centerline also sells 1974 bumpers for about $2000 with large rubber extensions.

Did anyone actually do these retrofits to a 75 spider? Did it work out as expected?

Ohiospider1975

·
Premium Member
13,454 Posts
I bought new top blades from Highwood. Chris Sweetapple is very knowledgeable and is just a great guy. The guys at Centerline are straight shooters too, but I have not bought bumper parts from them.
If I were going to do this job again on a budget I would try to buy good used bumpers from Europe. The UK Alfa club have an on line newsletter with classifieds. I would start off by contacting some of the folks who are breaking spiders over there.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Hi Ralph,

Just got my new set of Euro bumpers today from Highwood. Hi also have some instruction to make the mounting brackets as my car is 74 spider and a US import.
The rear bumper has for mounting positions, the side ones attach to the Euro body and has a bolt that comes out of the side of the car to hold the sides of the bumper (second picture).
What do you guys do in the US when your fitting Euro bumpers, has anyone taken any pictures while installing the Euro bumpers?

I think the chrome bumper do the car justice!

Thanks Rich

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
Rich,

Which specific parts did you buy from Highwood? It is hard to tell from the photos and to match up with the Highwood sketches. Did you order from Chris Sweetapple?

To Ralph,

Where do I find information on the W&D (ward & Dean) five part SPider mini-resto that you mentioned in your email?

Thank you both in advance.

Ohiospider1975

·
Premium Member
13,454 Posts
Here are pictures showing attachment of Euro bumpers. You can see that the bumper attaches to leaf springs (black) and the springs are attached to the mounting bracket. This is a Euro bracket and is diffrent from the bracket used on US cars 1971 - 1974.
Mounting the bracket to my US 1979 car involved a fair amount of cutting and welding. I did not take any pictures of that work. We used a cutting torch, air chisel and angle grinder to remove the stuff that is on a US car but not a Euro.

Attachments

·
Registered
863 Posts
Ohiospider,

I purchased the set of bumper, front left, front right and the rear bumper of Chris Sweetapple the owner of Highwood.

Alfaparticale,
I see what you have done, you purchased and attached part of the euro chassis that holds the front bumpers. The following pictures show you what Alfaparticale has attached this is the Euro style.

Rich

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
Here are pictures showing attachment of Euro bumpers.

What's the difference between the US Stainless front bumpers and the euro's besides the overriders and the lens colors?

-Raffi

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm confused

Ok, so I have a set of front and rear bumpers from a US '72 and want to mount them to a US '77.
What exactly do I need to buy bracket wise and is there any welding/cutting involved?

thanks......

·
Registered
465 Posts
Dear Alfidiot,
Rich and Ed (alfaparticle) have just left fantastic detailed accounts of parts and attachment hardware for this type of installation. I don't know the details of a '72 going to a '77, but I think you need to assume that 'yes' cutting and welding are required based on what Rich and Ed have provided.
Ohiospider1975

1 - 20 of 22 Posts