Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used Chevron Techron additive? I have been adding some to my tank about twice a year just because some salesman told me to. What the heck what could it hurt.

My poor ole Mazda B2600 (know its not an Alfa) finally needed a head gasket after 274,000 miles. What amazed me is how clean the piston tops, combustion, valves, & ports were. All it took was a cloth to get them clean. I was expecting them to be plugged up with all sorts of gunk. Did the Techron really do that or are modern engines that clean?

Now mind you I haven't had the head off of a street vehicle since I could buy leaded gas. My past experence told me that I should have had a mess to clean up.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I've been using for years, and IMHO opinion, it's the only product that really works...

Best regards,

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I use BG 44g, when I took off the head for a gasket change, the carbon on the pistons was like clay, moist and wiped off easily.
cliff

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Around 1995 I had an '82 Toyota Celica with sticking valves. The car was having a terrible time running (had about 165,000 miles at the time.) One can of Techron and the car ran fine again.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
From what I've heard, if you use this stuff, the time to use it is right before an oil change cause it obvioulsy contains some nasty S*** and the blowby combustion of it is something you don't want contaminating your oil.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
these kind of products contain paint thinner, just varying amounts. there is also a cleaning service that puts a higher concentration through the fuel system than you can from your tank.
cliff

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,049 Posts
I have used it for a long time and have had no known problems. Chevron has advertised that they are the only one (??) who Detroit automakers use for EPA Certification testing purposes. Probably just marketing. Chevron (and Texaco, now owned by Chevron) fuel has Techron in it so you don't need to add it if you use it regularly. I still add a dose once a year or more often if I use other fuel much.

·
Registered
496 Posts
On my old Saab 99 Turbo (1978) the only gas the car ran well on was Chevron. Really. After I ran Chevron gas in it for a year I stopped commuting to near a Chevron station. So I tried my luck with the local Arco and 76 stations. No problems. Whatever it was, the Chevron gas cleaned it out. I'm pretty sold on it now. I think I'll be trying the Techron additive in my GTV6.

Karl

1 - 8 of 8 Posts