Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Okay, so for sure the Transmission mount was bad. The old one had a lot of flex that the new one does not have. It was a PITA to get the old one out, mostly because I only had a 2/3 gear puller which meant that the ear for the 3rd leg of the gear puller was fighting me constantly. I recommend getting the 2 arm puller if you do this yourself. Aside from that it was pretty simple. I did have to file the entire circumference of the pipe to ensure it wouldn't hit the trans. I put some anti-sieze on the new mount and tapped it in with a piece of wood and a hammer. Tough to start but then it went right in.

I did measure the new mount before attempting to replace and it seemed bang on. That means the Classic Alfa's mount appears to be the right size (at least for this S3). A big part of my delay in getting things back together was cleaning and painting. I thought about leaving the patina on the gear shift lever but decided to re-paint black. This meant waiting on the weather to paint, and then a day for it to dry.

I cleaned the vent tubes (misleading name), I did them one at a time and I am pretty sure I put the shims and washers back in the same order. I wish I had known that was an issue before starting. Thankfully, I only did one side at time so I can't see how I didn't R&R correctly. With the console was apart it was super easy to replace the gear oil by pouring directly into the trans tunnel. I joined together two standard Zip Ties for the inner boot but I don't trust them and will likely replace them with a CV boot clamp.

This evening I installed the inner boot, the housing the 2nd boot with a BIG Zip Tie and then took her for a drive sans console.

The car went into reverse and stayed in reverse with no sign of giving up. It was a quick ride (it was drizzling and the electric windows were rolled down). I tried reverse several times and she always stayed in gear. I'm sure my Dad is smiling down on me and the Spider. I bought a new leather gator from Centerline and have it roughly installed. It looks great so far. I'm going to wait till the console is installed to check fitment before putting the clamps in place.

All in all a good week of isolation, reflection, and exercise working on the Spider. I'm sure glad Centerline and Classic Alfa were accepting orders, I wish them a healthy year in these crazy Covid times.

Tomorrow I'll re-install the console and report back. I did check my Giubo and I think it needs to be replaced. I also want to replace my two piece Speedo with the longer single cable so I can bypass the O2 counter. Good chance I'll find the time to get to it before our Social Distancing is finished. Weird times we're living in.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
If your tranny mount and Guibo are both bad, replace the carrier bearing when you pull the Guibo. Labor from my local driveshaft shop was less than $30. Parts came from Centerline. It made a world of difference.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
If your tranny mount and Guibo are both bad, replace the carrier bearing when you pull the Guibo. Labor from my local driveshaft shop was less than $30. Parts came from Centerline. It made a world of difference.
Thanks! That's solid advice and I'm hoping to do that soon, including the U-joints.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts