Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Sweet!

100% non-daily-driver, that.

What IS it about the GTV design? Every time I see one, my checkbook runs and hides under the sofa. Beautiful cars.

·
Premium Member
15,866 Posts
I have always thought that the Sprint GT/GTV body style was one of the best Alfa ever turned out, and truly one of the world's best in automobile design.

Looking back, I don't know why I sold mine.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I know we've all been told the Supers are better track cars I just can't wrap my head around the styling compared to the GTV and Sprint GTs. Stunning car ^^^

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
When I dream in Alfa, I'm driving that... or the 159 Alfetta.

·
Premium Member
27,000 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the Gtv is nice and all. I was really looking at the red car 3rd one back! ;) hahaha Yeah the GTV is cool too!

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
The 4th car is his legacy, and I own 4 of them. Had my share of gtv's love them, but I prefer a Fetta any day.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
My first Alfa was his glorious Alfetta GTV6. Mind you, the engineering under that car would have been sufficient. It could have looked like a bus and I'd have bought one. A truly sublime chassis not equalled since.

As for the namesake Alfetta 159 one should watch De Cadanet's Victory by Design Alfa DVD and check out the exhaust note of that supercharged 1.5 GP car at full chat...sends shivers up the spine and the hair on your neck stands up. The GTV6 exhaust note (and the 164 for that matter) conveys a sense of that electrifying sound.

·
Premium Member
15,866 Posts
Michael, are you saying you like the cars, lol?

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Michael, are you saying you like the cars, lol?
If I could have found a decent GTV6 I would have bought one. I regret selling mine all the time. There are no good ones for sale in Calgary so I drive a Subaru BRZ: 2.0 litre flat four developing 200 hp but 151 lb ft of torque. rwd.

It reminds me a little of my GTV6 as the torque and weight are similar. The little Subie has fairly good weight distribution and good suspension. It's a little quicker than a GTV6 and the engine sounds a bit like a tumble dryer full of random engine parts but it is a hoot to drive. In the spirit of those great European sportscars of the 60's and 70's but built like the proverbial...

·
Premium Member
15,866 Posts
Friend of mine has a Hyundai Veloster. Drives ok, but the darn thing looks like it belongs in a computer game inside and out. Made for kids. Compared to any Alfa, it's a visual mess.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Friend of mine has a Hyundai Veloster. Drives ok, but the darn thing looks like it belongs in a computer game inside and out. Made for kids. Compared to any Alfa, it's a visual mess.
And fwd. The styling on the BRZ is quite good and the interior is very pleasant. Driving position is about as perfect as any car I've ever driven.

It's a walter mitty car.

I wonder what FIAT group may do with the sportscar segment, if and when they re-enter the market as FIAT. The Chrysler Alfa's are selling very well. I still chuckle at the idea that Jeep buyers are snapping up the Cherokee which is jusy a Giulietta with very strange styling!

·
Premium Member
15,866 Posts
I didn't know the Cherokee was based on the Giulietta. I knew the Dart was, sort of.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I didn't know the Cherokee was based on the Giulietta. I knew the Dart was, sort of.
The Dart is basically a Giullietta with I think 2 inches inserted down the middle of the platform to make it wider.

I just googled this and the Dart and the Cherokee have exactly the same wheelbase and track, always a dead giveaway for platform sharing. Only vehicle height and weight differ (the Cherokee is a whopping 1,000 lbs heavier, a third heavier, which is food for thought if you are choosing between two otherwise identical vehicles if used on pavement).

The suspension should be the same and it is very good.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
The Dart is basically a Giullietta with I think 2 inches inserted down the middle of the platform to make it wider..
Except to look at the two or sit in them you'd never know they're related. The Dart and the Giulietta that is. Darts a good liking car mind you, perhaps - some people may say - even better looking :).

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Cherokee does use the Fiat platform. Now I'm not sure about the Grand Cherokee.

·
Premium Member
3,620 Posts
Correct. The Toyota and Subaru twins (ToyoBaru?), while really neat cars, have a crappy exhaust note (I think it's the firing order?). These are popular autocross cars, and a buddy with one has installed an aftermarket exhaust that sounds much better but nowhere near the music of the Alfa V6.

If I could have found a decent GTV6 I would have bought one. I regret selling mine all the time. There are no good ones for sale in Calgary so I drive a Subaru BRZ...

.... It's a little quicker than a GTV6 and the engine sounds a bit like a tumble dryer full of random engine parts...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts