Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would appreciate some of your guys thoughts. Maybe drop some ideas too while you’re at it.

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts
I also thought the original Miata was responsible for the demise of the Alfa Spider. Certainly, the Miata was a great car and it's introduction didn't help the aging Spider, but a friend who had worked at Alfa USA back then told me the main reason for discontinuing it was the upcoming requirement for a passenger side air bag. This would have required crash testing, and the 1960's design structure of the Spider would never pass this requirement. True, another urban legend, or just another nail in the coffin of the Alfa Spider?

And, your statement that the Alfa and Fiat 124 Spiders "shared the same platform" is incorrect. While the unibodies were both produced by Pininfarina, my aging memory thinks about the only shared parts were the outside door handles.

I would appreciate some of your guys thoughts. Maybe drop some ideas too while you’re at it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also thought the original Miata was responsible for the demise of the Alfa Spider. Certainly, the Miata was a great car and it's introduction didn't help the aging Spider, but a friend who had worked at Alfa USA back then told me the main reason for discontinuing it was the upcoming requirement for a passenger side air bag. This would have required crash testing, and the 1960's design structure of the Spider would never pass this requirement. True, another urban legend, or just another nail in the coffin of the Alfa Spider?

And, your statement that the Alfa and Fiat 124 Spiders "shared the same platform" is incorrect. While the unibodies were both produced by Pininfarina, my aging memory thinks about the only shared parts were the outside door handles.
sharing the same platform doesn’t mean the cars are identical. But they were produced almost simultaneously, same engine, suspension, chassis and coach builder. Maybe the correct word should have been underpinnings? Either way the Alfa isn’t a 2x2 doesn’t have a wood dash, and obviously the gearshifter was Mounted high up on the center control stack.

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts
Hi,
You provided a nice commentary on current sports cars. However, not to spit hairs but, I was replying to the part of your original post copied below, and stand by my statement that, irrespective of current Miata and Fiata similarities, the Series 1 - 4 Alfa spider and FIAT 124 spider, while sharing the same coach builder, never shared the same chassis platform, engine, suspension, or "underpinnings". And, the gear shift lever on the Alfa is not "High mounted", merely connected to the transmission and angled back; as on the Giulietta and Giulia Spiders. The common misconception of "High mounting" is caused by the center console surrounding the lever.

Enjoy your Spider Quadrifoglio, and best regards.

"The Fiat 124 Spider also known as the FIATA (because it shares its underpinnings with the Mazda Miata) officially stopped production. Yes, I know, I hate to break it to you. But there is now one less sports car on the market with a standard manual transmission. A car that once existed for twenty years from 1966 to 1985, failed to last more than four years this time around. The platform was shared with the Alfa Romeo Spider (pictured above) which lasted from 1966 to 1994. So why did the 124 Spider with such strong pedigree fail to continue the legacy of its Italian ancestors ? The fact of the matter is, the 124 Spider never had a fighting chance".

sharing the same platform doesn’t mean the cars are identical. But they were produced almost simultaneously, same engine, suspension, chassis and coach builder. Maybe the correct word should have been underpinnings? Either way the Alfa isn’t a 2x2 doesn’t have a wood dash, and obviously the gearshifter was Mounted high up on the center control stack.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I did not know that the new 124 was discontinued. Disappointing for the Italian car community. However it does mean I can probably pick up a used one in a few years for a very low price. I do want one. I am in no position to buy one now, with kids nearing high school graduation and college tuition in the near future. After that though, I will be looking at their prices.

I have contemplated what Fiat and Alfa should do with their lineup, but my thoughts don't seem to align with what FCA has in mind. With only the 124 Spider and various versions of the 500, they are missing the boat here. The 124 platform could easily be used in a coupe and a sedan and not have to compete with the Miata. I mean in the day you could get both a 124 Spider and a 124 sedan(2door and 4door). I used to have a 128 sedan which was the little brother of the 124 sedan. It also shared much of the parts with the X1/9. And overseas there was the 127, 128, 124, 131, and 132. All at the same time. The world wasn't crowded with Japanese sedans though, so there is a difference nowadays.

Alfa should have something below the Giulia. There is a huge gap between the low Alfa and the high Fiat. I think if Alfa had not discontinued the Giulietta and revamped it with RWD instead, there could be the gap filler. And a 124 Coupe could also reside in this gap area. The two could be just a notch separating them and be a great pair of Italian affordable sports cars.

However, money issues with FCA killed the Giulietta line. Very sad. I don't see many Giulias anymore either, so what is the fate of that one?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply Stefano,

to answer your question about the fate of the Giulia, It’s hard to say. I can see fiat completely leaving the U.S and focusing its efforts more on Alfa Romeo in states . The future of automobiles is EV’s and SUV’s. I would love to see a redesigned Giulia it’s best in its class. I don’t think the 124 is the answer for FIAT, if anything they need to bring the Panda to the US. A compact capable 4x4 SUV would do tremendously well here in the US. We don’t really have anything that size that is extremely capable. Add a manual transmission, locking rear diff and price it for less than the new Bronco and you have yourself a volume car. Like they had with the 500 when they were first introduced to us 8 years ago.

As far as Alfa Romeo, the Tonale should do well, assuming it’s priced accordingly, a hybrid that’s Maybe cheaper than a stelvio due to its compact size hopefully will sell well. We’ll have to wait and see.

·
Administrator
14,482 Posts
Completely incorrect. No sharing of anything at all. Just both happened to be front engined and rear wheel drive. Rear suspension very different with the FIAT using a panhard rod.

Your comment is the equivalent of me saying a Toyota Corona shares the same platform as an Alfa Romeo 156, i.e. they are both front wheel drive.

Sharing platform means, in the car world, that they have the same components, like the modern FIAT Spider and Mazda Mata. Example the Alfa 164, FIAT Croma, Lancia Thema and Saab 9000 shared a common platform, i.e. exactly the same floor pan.

What you meant is they shared a similar design concept. Nothing more
Pete

·
Administrator
14,482 Posts
Btw: why would FIAT want to sell more Italian cars in America? You guys seem to have forgotten they own Chrysler, surely that is their logical main focus regarding the American market
Pete

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Sergio seemed to want to. But then he died and it all changed.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Btw: why would FIAT want to sell more Italian cars in America? You guys seem to have forgotten they own Chrysler, surely that is their logical main focus regarding the American market
Pete
Thanks for the fact check. I was completely
Misinformed about the two cars sharing anything. I do think the FIAT panda would work in the US. It already has a well known name. Look how Audi brought the RS6 avant- to the US. And how much buzz it’s having. SUV’s is for sure going to be their direction. It’s obvious since they only offer the 500X and L in 2021

·
Registered
71 Posts
On the bright side. If you want a stylish late model open top Italian sports car with Japanese reliability on a budget a used Fiat Spider is a screaming deal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts