Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Congrats! [I'm jealous!]

When do you take possession?

What are your plans? Take it to original spec? Or pimp it out (my choice)?

David
1986 GTV-6

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
David, I like to look at pimped rides, real cool, however, I tend to restor to original stock. If I can get away with things I pimp the motor a tad to get more power.
A pall of mine from the MG group is doing a last inspection for me and then it shipping time. Will post pics when I get it. Rique

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Glad to hear you are keeping it stock. I watched that auction with curiosity, though I refrained from bidding because I have no room for more cars. Seems like a nice, solid, mostly unmolested example at a good price.

This picture looks like it's in Italy... with the older background and the brick drive.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, the car is in South Carolina. I thought exactly as you. It truly does look like an unmolested car. Thats how I like em.

How complicated are these engines to rebuild? Rique

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
congrats, looks like a fine project!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Rique: The 4-cylinder ALFA engines are not very difficult to rebuild but are you sure it needs rebuilding?

I have done many of them and the lower end is about bulletproof. Most of the work I've had to do is in the head - valves.

If you decide to do rings, I would suggest instead that you purchase the complete piston/liner sets. They are complete and ready to install, around $400.00 from International Auto Parts.

International also offers a head rebuilding service.

Although it's nice to stay with "original", you might also give some thought to Weber carbs. You may not need to - if the SPICA system works to your satisfaction, keep it. If it acts up, the Webers are bolt-on and you can always go back.

I had a specialty repair shop in upstate NY in the 70s and worked on only Ferrari, ALFA and FIAT.

My suppliers were ALFA Ricambi, Centerline and International - all EXCELLENT sources.

I would suggest a good clean out first - change the oil, filter and coolant and run the car for a while. Looks for leaks, traces of water in the oil and watch your oil consumption. Do a compression test - if it drives well and presents no negative signs, forget the rebuild and enjoy the car - they are GREAT DRIVERS!!!!!

I have some more tips if you're interested.

Bob Z.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello Bob, thanks for the information. I have little knowledge on liners. From what little I know you must bore out the block and fit the liner. How long will it last? and after the liner is done I guess you cant use the block as a rebore again? Enrique

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
No, that's the beauty of the Alfa design. The liners are removable. In theory, you pull the head, crankshaft, rods, and pistons, then flip the motor upside down and the liners fall out. Clean out the block good, replace the o-ring that seals the bottom of the liner (maybe with a little sealant - that's an ongoing debate) and install the new liners.

Of course in practice those liners have been in the block for a very long time and may need some persuasion to let go but there's usually no machine work needed to replace pistons and liners. So the engine is basically infinitely rebuildable - all the wear parts can be replaced.

-Jason

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hello, Enrique - no, that's not the case. ALFA uses "wet liners" that drop into a precise bore in the block. Other than the section that goes in, they are completely surrounded by water. There is an O-ring seal at the bottom and the top of the liner is sealed by the head gasket.I have NEVER seen one leak.

There is no machine work required.

If you're curious as to what they look like, go to the International Auto Parts website and find part number 6675 (for the 2000 CC engine)

Bob Z.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Looks like Jason and I posted at the same time!!! What he said is correct.

When you put the new liners in, you don't even have to remove the pistons (they arrive already inserted).
Just lower the piston enough to remove the wrist pin.

If the old liners are a bit stubborn, heat the block to around 350F and they will drop out.

Bob Z.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WOW! that is awsome information regarding the liners. I guess you need to buy a set of liners and corresponding piston set correct. Has anybody done a new liner old piston new rings setup...?

Enrique

·
Registered
64 Posts
Rique - No need to use any of the old parts.

For $439.00 you get EVERYTHING!! Pistons, rings, liners, wrist pin and circlips.

Ready to drop in.

Bob Z.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Jason has a good point - depends on how far you need to go.

BUT, in any case, drive the car for a few weeks and see - it may not need anything.

Bob Z.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Congrats! [I'm jealous!]

When do you take possession?

What are your plans? Take it to original spec? Or pimp it out (my choice)?

David
1986 GTV-6
Restore it like was left the factory.It looks very-very nice and unmolest to turn it like a boy racer car.And dont remove the period radio.Hide a modern one in the glove box.
Enjoy.
Bill.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
But yes, if your pistons / liners are in OK shape you can get a set of Hastings rings for < $100 and reuse them.

-Jason
Well, you actually would need to hone the liners with the proper grit stone in order to get the Hastings rings to seat properly. A long time ago, I made the mistake of just dropping in the new rings --- they never seated correctly, and the motor used a bit more oil than it should have:eek:.
Jim

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey, Guys - I noticed that some of your replies feature a listing of your cars. How do you go about doing that? I would like to list mine.

Bob Z.

S

·
0 Posts
Bob, assuming you are logged on, click on the "user cp" link at/near the top of the page on the far left; on the next page click "edit sinature" and then type in what you want to appear; you may then wish to preview it, in any case, save it when finished.

Good luck.

David

1 - 20 of 22 Posts