Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So I recently received a 1984 Spider Veloce from my brother as a gift. The car is in amazing condition, but he hardly ever drove it and the rear calipers had frozen.

After a ton of reading on here and other sites, I found some calipers that are meant for the front of an old VW.

These are great because they are brand new and come with pads installed. Also, they have two bleeder screws, so interchangeable.

They have a larger bore than the original, so I had to grind off a little metal so that they did not rub the rotor.

$35 each on Amazon with no core needed.
Cheap Calipers

·
Administrator
13,227 Posts
Rebuilding originals is always cheaper

Pete

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I considered rebuilding the calipers, but the rebuild kits were as expensive as one of these calipers. Plus, there was some pitting on the piston, so opted to replace them.

·
Administrator
13,227 Posts
I stand corrected

Pete

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
12,500 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,502 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,118 Posts
do the pistons have the cut outs like the ATE?
That's a good question.

Another question: in his first post, Jeff wrote "They have a larger bore than the original,....." It makes sense that these calipers would have a large bore, since they were designed to be front calipers. But a larger bore translates into higher pressure on the pads for a given force to the pedal, which would alter the car's front-rear brake balance. Alfas have a pressure limiting valve to reduce the chance of the rear brakes locking up. But increasing the rear caliper bore size might allow lock-up even at the limit of rear fluid pressure.

Anyhow Jeff, thanks for sharing your rear caliper discovery - if it works for you, great. Have fun with your new Alfa!

·
Registered
78 Alfa Spider
253 Posts
After a ton of reading on here and other sites, I found some calipers that are meant for the front of an old VW.

These are great because they are brand new and come with pads installed. Also, they have two bleeder screws, so interchangeable.

They have a larger bore than the original, so I had to grind off a little metal so that they did not rub the rotor.
I guess if my Alfa had a Toyota engine and a rear end from a Pinto I might consider it. But really?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I should have used the word inexpensive. That being said, I chose these over the rebuilt centerlines from RockAuto because they were brand new and I did not want to mess with sending in the cores. The pads are identical in size to the ones that were on my Spider. The bore is not much bigger, but it may make a modest change in braking.

I came upon these after reading in this forum where others had looked at ATE brakes from the same era and found multiple models that were interchangeable.

Since the pistons on my old brakes were pitted, I would have had to replace them. This seemed like an inexpensive and reasonable option based on the other people who had swapped to this type of caliper.

i didn’t need to mess with the front brakes as they are brand new.

·
Premium Member
14,502 Posts
The road to hell is paved with inexpensive aftermarket parts.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Any change in the bore size can be compensated for by installing an adjustable proportioning valve. Oops, there goes any savings. The only way to be safe.
Original is best and cheaper.

·
Registered
74 Spider 78 Spider 84 Spider
631 Posts
Good points all but you have to admire his ingenuity. There will be a day when you will have to accept creative solutions as parts become impossible to find. Hopefully not too soon though

·
Super Moderator
11,118 Posts
Good points all but you have to admire his ingenuity.
I have to agree with Odie. You also have to admire Jeff's willingness to share his findings and provide good-natured replies to all of our criticism. At the same time, the BB did its job of providing him with some good advice, which he may or may not chose to take.

But at the end of the day, Jeff got an unloved Alfa back on the road, and for that I say "good work!"

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
I replaced my frozen rear ones with a rebuilt set from Summit Racing a couple of years ago. Inexpensive and well built

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can’t say whether IAP calipers are good or bad yet. The rebuilt calipers from RockAuto are made by Centric, which are fine, but I don’t want to send in my original calipers as a core for an aftermarket replacement.

I may rebuild them down the road, but I am guessing these will be fine.

I understand that a lot of people are dedicated to original oem parts, and I respect that.

As far as getting an unloved Alfa back on the road, it wasn’t unloved, rather my brother hardly drove it. It sat in his garage for almost two years with his other classic cars without being driven. Then he bought a Ferrari California T back in July, so he needed the garage space. He gave me Spider because he knew I liked it and I like tinkering with cars.

The spider is a 9 out 10 interior and exterior. It runs well and only has a little grind in second gear. I am in the process of swapping out hoses and other wear items. This forum has been a great source of information.

I honestly can’t feel a difference in the braking now versus before when the rear brakes were frozen open. But, I don’t drive it the same way as I do my new Mustang convertble. It is a fun car to drive and tinker with.

I am not worried that the inexpensive calipers are unsafe as IAP has been selling these to the VW community for years. But, if they wear or fail prematurely, I will let everyone know.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
they work, so enjoy the car and if one day you feel like refurbishing the original ATE calipers, that can be a satisfying job too......a great illustrated post on that is in the spider Technical FAQ (#103 Rebuilding Brake Calipers)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts