Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both of the Alfa 164's that I have owned had problems with the sunroofs closing all the way. The sunroofs would hit the edge of front airfoil and stop running until I used a wooden popsicle stick to simultaneously hold the edge of the airfoil down while operating the sunroof switch with my other hand so it would pass over the airfoil and fully close. I literally have been doing this for years and it was just one of those Alfa quirks I learned to live with.

My original thinking about a way to fix this problem was to put something around the little wheels that operate the arms which lower the airfoil as the sunroof is closing. I was thinking along the lines of putting some layers of heat shrink tubing around the little wheels to increase their diameter to the point where they would push down the airfoil operating arms and allow the sunroof to fully close.

Yesterday I took a closer look at it and realized that there really wasn't any easy access to the little wheels. Then I had an "Aha!" moment. Instead of making the little wheels larger, why not make the closing arms thicker so they would close the airfoil faster. I cut some black duct tape into strips about 1/4" wide and 4 " long, and put several layers of these tape strips on top of the shiny areas on the operating arms. After some trial and error it finally worked. It took about 6 layers of duct tape for it to work. Now when I operate the switch to close the sunroof, the airfoil goes down sufficiently so the sunroof can close all the way without hitting the edge of the airfoil and stopping.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pinino:
True, my duct tape "fix" has a limited lifespan, but it's quick and easy to replace once it goes bad. In addition, the whole roll of black duct tape I have is sure to be adequate to fix it periodically for as long as this car still exists!
Mike D.

·
Registered
878 Posts
That will be today's fix, I think. I have had that issue since car was purchased and the worst art, apart from getting a finger caught between the opening at speed, was enduring the smirk from my wife. She wants a Miata and guess what will have to be sold off to make space in our insurance budget? I will fight this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I fixed this issue on a friends this summer by (carefully) bending the two arms into a slightly higher arc to compensate for the wear. This is a much more permanent fix and so far its worked perfectly

1 - 6 of 6 Posts