Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking forward to install a custom roll cage in my 75.( the one that Jim K. talks about in his book which doesn't ruin the rear passenger area )
but apparently it's illegal to have a roll cage in a street car in Hungary; so I'm looking for any other way to strengthen my chassis.

Considering the performance my car will have after the engine/suspension/brake job is finished I figured I need something to eliminate the chassis flex and increase the torsional rigidity.

For the record,I have already ordered front and rear stabilizer bars from performatek. ( 27mm & 25mm respectively )

So what do you guys reckon needs to be done?

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Considering the performance my car will have after the engine/suspension/brake job is finished I figured I need something to eliminate the chassis flex and increase the torsional rigidity.

For the record,I have already ordered front and rear stabilizer bars from performatek. ( 27mm & 25mm respectively )
These things are pretty floppy around the front of the chassis, forward of the A pillars.
Another thing to understand is that thicker torsion bars will cause more flex in the chassis and so will a thicker front anti roll bar.

Bracing them to any decent degree becomes a fairly involved task and improvements can be hard to impossible to measure and quantify by the average enthusiast. Everything that I've done for my car I can't measure the changes, if there are actually any, so they are all subjective in approach.
Proper bracing of the front will require the engine to be removed and also the front guards to to be taken off. You will also need to be able to do a decent bit of welding and fabricating.
Note that the bottom photo isn't from my car. It was posted by 1 of the guys on GTV6.com and he reported that it had a very positive effect on the chassis, but be aware that it is actually rectangular hollow section tube that has been installed inside the chassis rails. How far back the new material goes, I don't know but it deffinitely has both lower control arm bolts going thru it.
I've also stitch welded the box section that the top control arm bolts to. I've got a couple of other idea in mind, too.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts