Alfa Romeo Forums banner

101 - 120 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Lord David Strathcarron and his Alfa Romeo 6C cars

It seems that David Strathcarron owned three 6C1500 and 6C1750 cars. There is some discussion of the cars in his book "Driving For Pleasure". He identified the cars by registration number rather than chassis number. We know which cars "GF2507" and "UV819" should be. Aside from Strathcarron's description in the text of his book and one ad in MotorSport (March 1948) I have no information whatsoever on "MW9197". Does anybody know anything of MW 9197?

Thank you.

John de Boer
The Italian Car Registry

·
Registered
34 Posts
John, is it possible that Art Wennerstrom's 6C has a Stabilimenti Farina body ?
Beside my 6c there was one more built in 1929 by Stab. Farina but no chassis number known or picture.
Martin

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Stabilimenti Farina

John, is it possible that Art Wennerstrom's 6C has a Stabilimenti Farina body ?
Beside my 6c there was one more built in 1929 by Stab. Farina but no chassis number known or picture.
Martin

I do not believe that 6C0312961 (ex-Art Wennerstrom) was bodied by Stabilimenti Farina. No body numbers were apparent on any of the body parts that I inspected when it was disassembled for restoration. This does not make it impossible but I've found that Stabilimenti Farina generally numbered their bodies pretty thoroughly. The body on 0312961 seemed quite artigianale in some ways. More so than Stabilimenti Farina bodies. This might be the result of work done to the car during its time period making history in Italy and Eritrea. Perhaps some confusions were created even in England?

I am not aware that either of the seemingly two(?) cars numbered "6C0312902" today have claimed to have Stabilimenti Farina bodies. From my notes, both have been claimed to have Zagato bodies. If this impression is in error then I would like to learn more. In fact, I would always wish to learn more!

There are other cars that have Stabilimenti Farina bodies and others that are believed to be "possibly Stabilimenti Farina" or which have been claimed to have Stab. Farina bodywork.

6C0110831 is claimed to be "Stabilimenti Farina" today but not in the past
6C0111786 is Stabilimenti Farina
6C0312903 was probably Stabilimenti Farina. It was owned by the company.
6C0411975 is claimed to be "Stabilimenti Farina" but there are doubts
6C0412215 is thought to be "maybe Stabilimenti Farina"

Not all of these cars have "1929" origins but I'm pretty certain that there will be others about which we know nothing yet.

There was a later 6C1750 GS spider Zagato that was owned and raced by Nino Farina as well.

John

·
Registered
34 Posts
John,
Thankyou for the answer. Since my 6C0312902 received the FIA document and the other one lost it after inspection from Italy, I think there is no doubt about my car. The body is the same as on old fotos from 1931 of the car. We found 3 little holes under the redone paint and they matched the 3 holes of a Stabilimenti Farina badge. No conincidence we think. The body panels are stamped as well as the fenders. I just would like to see sometimes another Stab.Farina Alfa 2door.
regards Martin

·
Registered
148 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Alfa Romeo 6C10814320

I recently received information from Barrington Smith (UK), owner in the late 1950's of 6C10814320. It was registered "BLO9" at that time and it seems likely that this registration plate was first issued December 1934 in London, probably (but not necessarily) to this chassis. Anybody know more about "BLO 9"?

John

·
Registered
9,312 Posts
6C 1750 Torpedo de Luxe #0411975 currently for sale at Luzzago

FYI, the 1929 Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 Torpedo de Luxe (chassis and engine #0411975) is currently for sale at Luzzago (see here).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
6C0411975 "torpedo deluxe"

Grazie Ruedi!

"torpedo deluxe" - OK

Is it truly bodied by Stabilimenti Farina? I'm not asking because I am in doubt. It is only that the Stab. Farina badges in evidence are much newer than the car ... which probably dates from 1930 rather than the year "1929" that is claimed by the description and (apparently) the ASI homologation. Hence, I do not trust the "evidence" of the badging of being indicative of reality. It is not unusual to find such discrepancies as there are many instances where the year of manufacture can be traced to a 'chassis ready' date (or an overly homogenous description shared by Luigi Fusi and others who came before him) rather than a "completed car" date for the specific car in question. It is not unusual to find that someone has placed an easily obtained badge on a car in order for it to seem more "complete", whether or not the badge belongs on the car or body.

In the days of hand-built cars, there are many examples of cars that were completed seemingly later than the dates that have been proposed. This does not take into consideration the many cars that lived for a time with one body and which then were updated with another. Some stories are complex. Some are simple.

In general, I am of the opinion that a car is not yet a car until it is bodied and ready to be driven. You need not agree with my thinking. I do not propose these kinds of thoughts out of a desire to be contrary. Instead, I would enjoy learning what documentation there is to support each claim on a case-by-case basis. These cars are highly individual even when certain examples might seem to be quite similar. Treating them as if they are overly generic does not honor the individual nature of many of these cars. Please correct me if my stated thoughts do not agree with actual documentation! Only by sharing each example will we have enough documentation to know what is possible ... and what is not.

John

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Stabilimenti Farina

If this car (6C0411975) was bodied by Stabilimenti Farina, I'd expect it to have a Stabilimenti Farina body number. I can't say this with a lot of conviction (for this time period) ... but if it has a body number (whatever it is), this would be a very important detail to learn. At least, I think so. Again, you need not agree. Many seemingly do not agree because I rarely learn a body number from a car without searching for it myself.

John

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
6C0411975

What do you think about this car?
Is there any history known.

Thinking to buy
If you are asking about 6C0411975, then the only thing I can add to questions about the identity of the coachbuilder and specific ownership history prior to 1991 is to acknowledge that, despite an ASI homologation document that reports 26.9.1929 as a date of production or earliest registration(?), other cars with similar chassis numbering seem to have had their origins during 1930, making "1929" seem rather unlikely for this particular example. I'm not suggesting it matters a great deal in a general sense, but if you are seeking a "1929" car rather than a "1930" car, then this car is probably not from 1929.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Alfa Romeo 1750

My father owned an Alfa Romeo 1750 TC. The chassis no. is 10814324.
The plate was ER 6393 (he bought the car in Eritrea, but the original plate was VI 7875, where VI stands for Vicenza - a city in northern Italy).
I could send the registration card (and some pictures of the car), if it is of any interest.
Regards

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Ar 6c10814324

Grazie "noidea",

I've heard of your father's car before. It has been almost five years that I've been hoping to learn more. Apparently you shared some information already with another who then inquired if anything more was known of this car. The Vicenza plate dates from 1937. I will ask a friend to research the plate.

I have collected some information about you father racing in a variety of cars in and near Asmara. I doubt there will be anything new to you, but I'd be happy to share what little I know with the hope that we may all learn some more.

John de Boer
The Italian Car Registry

·
Registered
10 Posts
My father died six months ago. So I cannot ask, but I don’t think he never raced near Asmara. He loved cars, but he never raced. He left the Alfa Romeo 1750 6C (ER 6393) in Addis Ababa when the English troops sent him to Kenya, in 1940. Someone told me that the car was in Adds Ababa until 1951, but I had no way to check.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Grazie "noidea"

I am sorry to hear that your father has died.

There is always a risk in receiving information second-hand. I was previously informed that the owner of this car was a different person. Mea culpa for having assumed this was correct. I am pleased to correct that flawed data point. I will look into learning more and will share it with you.

More to follow ...

John

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you, John.
My father (Petronio Barone - Caserta, 1911-2015) was the third owner, after Giovanni Panozzo (Lonigo - Vicenza) and Carlo Di Scalzi (Asmara - Eritrea). He was an officer at the Italian central bank in Addis Ababa.
Best wishes,
Emilio

·
Registered
9,312 Posts
6C 1750 #0312949 with James Young body currently for sale at Thiesen in Germany

FYI, the 1929 Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 #0312949 with James Young body (supposedly once owned by Aga Khan) is currently for sale at Thiesen in Germany, see here. Asking price is EUR 1,550,000 according to this Anamera listing.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
My 6C 1750 GT IV series, chassis number 8613507, (UK plate GN 597), has the engine number 10914563, (V series). They told me that the original engine was broken in 1931, and Alfa Romeo has given to the owner the new 10914563 to put on the car.
I would like to know better the history of my car. Someone can help me ?
Thank you.

101 - 120 of 133 Posts