Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good eveing all. An Alfa newbie here with some electrical issues. Car is a 1978 Spider Spica injected model. With the engine running the genrator light glows brighter as the engine speed increases. This is a 4 wire Bosch unit with a seperate regulator. Here's what I have done so far:
Replaced the voltage regulator.
Checked fuses at fuse block.
Cleaned fuse holders at fuse block.
Added ground strap from alternator to body.
Tried ground from alternator to battery.
Cleaned wire connectors at alternator and regulator.
Tried both full field tests on alternator and results suggest alternator is good.
After installing the new regulator the voltage will increase with engine speed up to about 12.7 volts from 12.0 at idle. Any info or help would be appreciated.
Brian

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
check the condition of the wire from the starter to the terminal block under the battery (at least that is where it is on my 74) the battery cable goes fromthe battery to the starter, then back to the terminal block, then to the fuse block. the crimp on terminals have been known to corrode or loosen. the light bulb should come on only when the alternator output is less than the voltage at the fuse block.
cliff

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I've about had it with this setup! Friday I'm picking up a 70 amp single wire alternator from my local shop. After 2 regulators, alternator testing, a dead battery and several hours of fooling with the electrical system, I'm done! I will be replacing all the charging wires and ends as well as eventually taking out that stupid fuse block setup. I will install a nice aluminum breaker panel with marine breakers. No more fuses thank god.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I picked up a 2 wire alternator today, a 60 amp model. It's more or less a good direct fit with a smaller case than a standard delco unit. I need to buy/make a longer top bracket as the mounting holes are slightly different. Second wire is for the field, needs a 12 volt source to start the charging. I used the original green wire to the voltage regulator and it seems to work just fine. The generator light even works with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts