Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
the dash is FUNKY with the 2 diferent sizes of guage clusters..looks well..tossed together....but id KILL for those seats

·
Registered
594 Posts
the dash is FUNKY with the 2 diferent sizes of guage clusters..looks well..tossed together....but id KILL for those seats
My thoughts exactly. The binnacle looks cheap compared to the rest of the interior. Considering what they put into the interior, how much more would it have cost to make a cover or proper housing for the instruments?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Thats probably because here in the uk the gtv6 came with three different dashes throughout production First was the early type with the speedo in front of the steering wheel and all the other instruments in a central binacle as in early 1.8 2.0 and 1.6 coupes. Second was the one you see on the chapparall which was the speedo rev counter and all the neccessary dials in one binnacle which was, for want of a better word a bodge by alfa, to please the british market and that was when most of the chapparals were built Thirdly the final dash was the best one and i think the only one you got in the states for the v6 which was the speedo rev counter and large clock all together side by side and much neater.
over here in the uk we call them series 1,2 & 3

S

·
0 Posts

However, I'll bet it looks a lot tighter in person, if for no other reason than the color and material combination is sweet.

Thanks for the pics!

David

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I like that light colored Connolly leather. Looks great against the Red. The additional two-tone striping on the doors and piping on the carpets are a bit on the "Las Vegas" side of interior decor, but one has to remember it was the '80's :rolleyes:...

The Dash doesn't bother me. Looks like the Alfetta style with tach and speedo reversed & put in the same binnacle. True, better symmetry with three same size instruments (like mine) but who needs a 4" diameter clock?

I have to say though, that the build quality is at least as good as Ferrari of the day (TR, 328).
1988 Ferrari Testarossa Photographs. High Resolution, Wallpapers, Destop Images.
1988 Ferrari 328 GTS Photographs. High Resolution, Wallpapers, Destop Images.

Chapparral did a good job redesigning the console & gives me some practical ideas - I have been thinking of building a better console (or maybe just the radio binnacle). Using auto speaker cabinet material. Right now, it's just glued, screwed, and tatooed in SEM Color Coat flexible coating spray (first 15093 Light Buckskin, then 15323 Palomino).
P1010244.JPG P1010414.JPG
The original Light Buckskin matched the seats better, but when my replacement hand brake boot came in, (Re-Originals U0102C Tan [for Spider]) it was more saddle-colored, which I liked better, and am going with throughout...

Fluffy, what did they finish the headliner and "A" pillars with? Looks like Chamois (or perforated leather). I would still like to know more about the engine mods performed on that car. Did they upgrade the shifter mechanism as well? - appears much shorter. Very nice car Fluffy! 'Bet the coppers ask you so many questions after pulling you over, they forget to write the bloody ticket! hehe

·
Registered
696 Posts
Interior

Hi Fluffy,

Thanks for the pictures. You interior is very beautiful. I was just wondering, besides the 2 vents in the dash (Drivers Side/Passanger Side), do you have any other vents? I was just wondering how you hid the center vents that blow the A/C and heater? :confused:

S

·
0 Posts
Toon, I like what you've done with your interior, looks great, in fact. I'm doing something similar, though parts have not yet come back, so the jury is still out. I will post the results.

Thanks.

David

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
am i seeing that right...the door armrest's are totally different?(from a fetta/gtv6)..and whats with the black stitching on the sunroof?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Thanks Slew,

Lots of finish work to do as yet.
1) Refit/trim Dashcap better.
2) Remove doorpanels, cut speakerholes (fr), dye/reglue tan panels, & refit.
3) Remove seats to fix any sagging and re-dye in Palomino.
4) Replace the door seals.
5) Remove column indicator switch assy & chemically clean copper contacts.
Re-install w/thin film of dielectric grease on all contacts
6) Have window motors rebuilt.
7) Install speakers, amplifier, and complete wiring.
8) Steam clean headliner.
9) The three toggle switchbank where the ashtray used to be, will be wired
to control:
- Turn on the A/F meter in cubbyhole under glovebox.
- Open or close the aux air device ala manual choke.
- Turn on under-dash lighting (grn) also wired to door switch.
eBay Motors: 4PC GREEN LED INTERIOR UNDERSEAT LIGHTS UNIVERSAL (item 260200192390 end time Jan-11-08 21:20:19 PST)
10) Replace the indicator needles on the speedo and tach (tach in red).
Replacement Gauges and Speedometers for Classic Car Musclecars and Vintage Automobiles
11) I recently installed Fog lamps under the front bumper, so another switch
for them as well. I am also installing relays for the H4/H1's in front.

I think that's about it except that I'll probably replace the alternator to the 164 style to handle the amperage.:D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@ToonRBoy,
The A-Pillars & roof lining is also leather I think. The carpet is actually loads of individual pieces rather then one large pieces so loads of piping on display.
All the leather was originally white but has aged to a nicer cream finish..

As for the engine mods, apparently it consisted of p&p the heads, hotter cams, displacement increased to 2.6 and higher compression. I say apparently because I'm lead to believe not all were created equally.. Anyhows mines starting to burn a bit of oil so I guess I'll find out whats really in there then I attempt a rebuild.
Hotter cams are currently in the garden shed, PO had them removed as the car was difficult to drive in traffic - I'll probably fit them anyway just to try them out.

Never been in another GTV6 so can't really comment on the gear shift apart from its a bit clunky at times :)
Like your console :)

@sh0rtlife,
The black around the sunroof is most likely dirt !!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Well Fluffy, if you recall that last thread I started, http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfetta-gtv6-1975-1986/50979-callaway-chaparral.html - being led to believe that all Chaparral's were not created equal is understandable considering all the "feedback" I got!

I sort of remember the mods that were done (that I read on a review many years ago) and what you say sounds about right. But you never know, those blokes in the UK (TVR) took the Buick 3.5L (215cu.in) all aluminum V8 wayyy beyond GM's 185HP! :p

It's really hard to get much more power out of the 2.5 without spending a small fortune. I mean, stage IV sperry heads only flowed ~150cfm, and the stock injectors are only 188cc. Anyway, for tooling around town you want torque low down. Right now, I'd be happy to get another 20-30 ft. lbs. of torque! I do miss my 3.0 in this regard.

Both my Milano's (75's) consumed oil, ~1.75qt every 3k mi. I bet your car just needs new valve guides. If you're going-in for that, that would be an opportune time to drop in the other cams. Anyway, thanks for sharing the photo's & for keeping that beauty on the road!:)

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Hey Fluffy,

In my research for ideas for a custom console, I came across this picture of the seats in the Ferrari 365 GTS4 - Interesting style resemblance to your Chap eh? 71-Ferrari_365_GTS4.jpg
I also downloaded your console pics as well (for practical ideas). I'm going to design and build a new lower console and radio binnacle out of MDF and finish with leather, brushed aluminum, or something with texture - details aren't set yet, but will probably house add'l gauges, stereo, data logger, switches, etc...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ha looks familiar alright ! Acutally had mine out today for the first time in months - love these cars :)

Keep us posted on on how your console develops.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts