Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a photograph illustrating the "fill and "drain" plug of the transmission? My GTV manual has a drawing that is not abundantly clear to me.

Also, am I correct in that the drain is a hex style nut about 14mm on the driver's side and the fill is similar to a bolt on the passenger side more or less?

Also, these two apparent fill and drain that I am referring to seem almost on the same level of the transmission housing.

As a novice, I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Make sure you can remove the fill plug before you remove the drain plug:eek::). Otherwise, you'll have a empty gearbox that you can't fill (unless you do so from the top which is a real drag. Secondly, you'll have (at least I did) to jack the car up level to refill to the correct amount. IIRC, the gearbox takes about 2 qts. The drain and fill cannot be on the same level. The fill should be midway on the trans case and (of course) the drain on the bottom.

·
Registered
12 Posts
To make the filling job easier and much less messy, if you go to your favorite auto parts chain, you should be able to find a pump with a screw in top and a flexible clear plastic hose that will allow you to attach it to your new fluid reservoir and pump the fluid into the fill hole. Its been a while since I got mine, so I can't tell you where I got it, but they should be readily available.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I just bought the exact item focusa is speaking about at my local discount auto store(Murrays). They have them for quart and gallon jugs, around $3 to $4. By the way, what oil are you going to use? Murray's did not have SAE 90 oil, just this Valvoline Synthetic Durablend 80W-90.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
I just finished draining and refilling my tranny. The two bolts are very obvious once you get under the car from the drivers side. Like Low Mileage said...make sure that you loosen the top one first to avoid an "incident". I think they are both 17mm. I used a breaker bar which loosened the bolts pretty easily. I used Shell Spirax...and highly recommend it. To fill it up I used and old "plunger" style oil filler and it worked well.

Best of luck.

Is there a photograph illustrating the "fill and "drain" plug of the transmission? My GTV manual has a drawing that is not abundantly clear to me.

Also, am I correct in that the drain is a hex style nut about 14mm on the driver's side and the fill is similar to a bolt on the passenger side more or less?

Also, these two apparent fill and drain that I am referring to seem almost on the same level of the transmission housing.

As a novice, I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And the drain is a hex style nut about 17mm on the driver's side and the fill is similar to a bolt on the passenger side more or less?

Thanks

I just finished draining and refilling my tranny. The two bolts are very obvious once you get under the car from the drivers side. Like Low Mileage said...make sure that you loosen the top one first to avoid an "incident". I think they are both 17mm. I used a breaker bar which loosened the bolts pretty easily. I used Shell Spirax...and highly recommend it. To fill it up I used and old "plunger" style oil filler and it worked well.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
On this thread, Farace posted a great idea for how to fill the tranny the easy way: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/transmissions/27127-filling-gear-oil-thru-shifter-tower.html

There have also been a number of threads that discuss what fluid to use. I've never gone wrong following the factory spec, which I believe is Shell Dentax. Someone correct me on this if my failing memory is doing its thing, but I believe the spec changed to Shell Spirax to suit the newer style syncros in the early to mid 1980's. PepBoys carries Shell Dentax, at least in San Jose, California. Spirax should not be used on the old style synchros.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I've seen many comments on changing the gear oil in the 105 and 115 transmissions from using a small hand pump to a oil squirt can. Here's my solution. A 1/2" PVC plumbing elbow Male to female and a 1/2" male to barb. A section (3') of 1/2" ID PVC braided tubing and a small funnel. The elbow is screwed into the fill hole of the trans, The thread pitch of the elbow is very close to the threads in the trans but will not harm the trans thread when screwed in, Next screw the barb in to the female end of the elbow, attach hose to the barb and route hose up to the engine compartment and a funnel and you are good to go. I set the gear oil in the sun for an hour or so, 2 QT will slightly over fill the trans so when you remove the elbow a small amount will drip out, Replace fill plug and hopefully you put the drain plug in before filling with fresh oil. The gear oil went in as fast as I could safely pour it
Attached Images

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Geezer...what did you use before the Redline?
The PO had put in some sort of "dino" oil. The car shifted like crap. When cold none of the synchro's worked. With the Redline the trans shifts smooth as butter. Still have the 2nd gear synchro problem when cold but that goes away when warmed up. I built up a spare trans with new synchros fully intending on swapping out the trans this winter. The Redline oil works so good I think I'll just put the rebuilt trans in storage until such time as I have to pull the trans.

lowmilage,

I hope it stays in there also. The trans had 3 annoying leaks. Both the fill & drain plugs dripped, & the speedo gear leaked. The fix for the plugs were 2 fold. The trans casting is rough around the plug holes. There is no hope for a copper washer to seal against the rough casting. I used new copper washers and a thin bead of silicone in the radiused relief of the plug. That solved the drip. I may look into champfering the plug holes and use an o-ring to seal the plugs.

For the speedo gear I found a National seal that would fit the shaft and drive into the speedo gear housing. So far no leaks yet. If anyone is interested in the seal part number, send me a PM, to remind me and I can post the number this evening.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The seal is a National part # 220860. 7mm id 16mm od. No leaks yet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts