Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips to changing a 3.0 rear engine mount, whilst the lump is in the car.

cant get access to push it out without disconnecting properly, headers etc...

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
About the only way to tilt the "lump" enough so the rear mount clears the chassis is to disconnect the driveshaft completely from the engine flywheel, remove the downpipes completely from the headers as well as from the center muffler (I'd just remove the center muffler anyway), and unbolt the left- and right-engine mounts so the engine is teeter-totting on them.

That's not all, you'll need a floor jack to lift the front of the engine (lift on the frontmost lip of the lower oil pan) so you can tilt the engine far enough.

Then the real work begins ... you need to drive both the old rear mount, and drive the new one in, with very limited working area. I've done it, with help of a friend, as I couldn't do that last part myself. Would I do it again?

Eh, that's one job I think I'll pay a professional to do. But, it IS possible.

·
Premium Member
13,361 Posts
How bad is your existing mount? You might try reinforcing it by filling the gaps with pieces of rubber hose.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
When you get the bellhousing lowered, heat the area around the mount with a propane torch, then just knock the old mount out with a hammer and slide the new one in. Have the new covered in anti-seize , correctly orientated and ready to go. When you push it in and it's correctly positioned, cover the area with wet rage, this will stop the new mount from being overheated. Done lots of them this way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts