Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got a 27 mm socket... drained the oil then put the Oil pan bolt in. Filled the car with Castrol 20/50 and as I was getting rid of the old oil into containers... I noticed a washer!!!!

Please don;t tell me this is for the Oil pan nut... and if it is.. Do you really need one?

Anyone? :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just came back from the garage.... I was Speedy Gonzales.... I jacked her back up.. and right when I almost had the Oil pan bolt out I did a quick switcheroo, and only my hands got gushed on with Oil.. (I had an Oil pan underneath).. Now that washer is in.. It must have got stuck on the Lower Oil pan.. I never saw the thing before... LOL

No I can sleep.. LOL

·
Registered
141 Posts
Real good move. That washer is there for a reason. I put one back together once without it and it seeped until I did the same thing you did.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Next time buy a set of Rhino ramps

I don't think it's possible to work underneath your Alfa without a set. Makes changing the oil MUCH easier. Plus you don't have to mess with jackstands.:D

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
How do they work? I have a set of metal ramps, but by the time I find 2 lengths of 2X4 to put between them and a wall to stop them from moving, it's easier to just drive the car up on 2 patio stones to raise it enough to get the jack under it then jack it up and put the stands in place. Without the 2X4s the car just pushes the ramps along the driveway.

·
Registered
327 Posts
They work like a charm

They're made from some sort of heavy duty recycled plastic. On the bottom is an anti-skid pad. I've got 2 sets and use them for my Range Rovers, Volvos, my Audi, and most importantly, my Alfa. I've NEVER had a problem with them sliding across the floor. It's just drive on- drive off.

·
Premium Member
21,361 Posts
Plus on many cars, the nose or tail body area is low enough that you can strike it going up or down the ramps. Even if it just clears, you can pound it on the way down if you forget to go verrrrrrrrrrry slowly. If the car is lowered, forget getting onto ramps.

I have steel ramps and they work OK on rough concrete. On smooth concrete they slide away pretty easily.

Andrew

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ramp technique to prevent bottom hits and sliding

Front lift example: Place a 1x8x26~" board in front of each front tire. Wedge it in between tire and ground so there is no space.
Place other end of the board(s) 1/2 way up the ramp. My ramps have perforated holes so I use them as a gage to assure that both boards are at the same relative position on each ramp.

Drive up boards. Boards are at a gentle angle and with the weight of the front of the car on them they will resist sliding....unless you apply the brakes in a jerky move. Clutch control and skill will get you to the top with no bottom hits and or sliding.

Of course you need to exercise all and every safety precaution when the car is up in the air using any means.
For example..lock wheels with brakes, wheel serious wheel chocks, and transmission..Disconnect Battery as well so it cant lurch in case you hit the starter terminals accidentally. Place some extra mounted wheels on the ground near where you work as well.
A person once observed me working under my car with some extra tires/wheels under the car as well. They commented" Wont you ruin the tires if the car falls on them?" "Yes", I replied, "that's the plan."

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the reply guys.
Does that washer need to be replaced every so often? and if so.
Where do you get them. and what is their exact size?

I have 4 Hydraulic jacks... and I put one on each side near the front frame where it starts to kick up toward the engine. as it is the strongest point there. and I jack both sides up almost simultaneously so as not to bend/twist the body.. I'm a freak that way.
This way you have Tons of clearance and a level rise on the front of the car. Oh and put two jack stands for safety.

I lift all my cars this way as I hate seeing a car in agony twisted by just one side lifted.. LOL :)

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Caesar, the copper sealing washer is available from any of the several Alfa parts suppliers. It is not necessary to replace them hardly at all, unless they drip oil. My '91 has the original after many, many oil changes.

But you did the right thing! The washer IS necessary for a good seal.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Save the Seals!

:)I agree on the seals. Re-use until they leak or look really torn up or distorted. I ordered mine from Int'Autoparts.

I also save the old ones and keep them in a bag in the tool box in the trunk in case I am desparate and have to go to a quick oil change place and they lose the one on the plug. I have backup.

....no to solve that engine oil leak from the front and rear main seals!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts