Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My clutch is showing signs of needing replacement in the near future.
As you can see in pic, I have Kwik Lift ramps. It raises the car about 18 inches and provides unhindered access.

I want to drop transmission and swap out clutch. Just how heavy or burdensome is dropping tranny with my setup? How much does a dry tranny weigh? Does engine have to be supported during process?

I've done this with a couple C3 Corvettes so I'm familiar with rear drive cars.

Any tips or advice is welcomed.

Warren

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,512 Posts
Nice ramps!

When I pulled my transmission I had just a little over 20" of clearance from the ground. Once on the ground, it had to come out from the passenger side.
IMG_7537.jpg

I also used this transmission jack. For me, its an absolute to do the job. Made life a lot easier. I think you can get it at Harbor Freight for $75. Well worth it.
IMG_7702.jpg

Here is the thread I used to learn the procedure and pitfalls.

Good luck,

Vin

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Question for Vintre

Did you have to support engine or will it sit comfortably balanced on engine mounts with no tranny attached?

I can tell you from experience that you will ruin the engine mounts on a big block 70 Corvette if you don't support motor..

thx
Warren

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thought you'd be interested

This is what sits in the left bay.

The ramps and hydraulic lift have long since paid for themselves.

Have a great day,
Warren

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,512 Posts
Did you have to support engine or will it sit comfortably balanced on engine mounts with no tranny attached?

I can tell you from experience that you will ruin the engine mounts on a big block 70 Corvette if you don't support motor..

thx
Warren

No engine support needed.

Good luck,

Vin

·
Premium Member
3,512 Posts
Sorry I forgot to mention it, but if you have the tranny out, it is much easier to replace the transmission support.

Vin

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
removing tranny is a pain. be prepared to remove the whole stinkin console inside. then, done forget to 'tip" engine back for bell housing to clear the car body with 2 6" C clamps, , otherwise, youll never get it out.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I've done it with the front on portable ramps. I think trans is about 75 lbs. In my younger days it just took my arms, then my arms and legs. Next time I will definitely need one of those trans jacks. Aging sucks, aging more than 1 day per day really sucks.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Take out the lower bell housing to motor mounting studs and it will be much easier to clear everything with the engine in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts