Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As part of my rebuild/ upgrade I am changing the cams . The Exhaust is a no brainer. The intake on the other hand has got me scratching my head.

I bought a cam gears and holder/HUB on ebay and I cleaned them up real nice today , then I noticed the gear holder is way to long for the TS .
IMG_1544 copy.jpg

I am woundering if I get an exhaust cam gear holder/HUB from a nord motor that has
a VVT would it match the Twin Spark ?

I tried taking apart the TS intake VVT in the hopes that I could put the VVT on my new cam but it will not work . IMG_1535.jpg

Anyone know how to get the rest of the parts off the cam ? Not going to remove them just wondering .

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is an email that I received today

I've been trying hard to find the source for an aftermarket 8V TS inlet cam which retains the VVT but have been unable to find out who and where make them. Richard Jemison offered to 'let me pick my cam profile' and he could do a regrind on my TS cam. I'd much, much prefer to have one made from a billet - unless the cost is way too prohibitive for me. Don't want to have to deal with thick valve spacers or a cam that might not be completely rehardened. I just want to add ten or so HP to the engine before installing it [with stock (or chipped) Motronic and 10.5:1 pistons].

Is your new cam a regrind or made from billet? Care to share your source? If it's the same as Murrary's (black Series 4 spider), the name he gave me hasn't replied to my email.

Good luck on your 200HP TS (no competion from me).

Biba
The cams I got are from Alfaholics . New billet and hollow . But not for use with the VVT . Give Max a call I am sure he would be able to supply you with a cam that will work with the VVT.
IMG_1395.jpg

The cheaper route would be from Richard Jemison or Wes Ingram Ingram Enterprises, Inc. || Price Sheet .
Wes does the weld it up, cut the new profile thing.
If done properly they will last just as well as a new cam .

Does Richard have the cams welded up first ?

·
Registered
77 Posts
You can check also CATCAMS .
I get cams there. There are versions with VVT and without.
Correct hub can be machines from Nord version hub.

BR Juha

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
David, thanks for this information. When I saw the splined end on the cam, it appeared as if your plan was to retain the VVT. I thought that you might have been influenced by msiert's Spider engine. When Richard replied to me he said that the exhaust cam is as important as the inlet.

Richard doesn't suffer fools at all well and when it comes to cams, I'm definitely in that catagory. I need someone who is very familiar with the 8V TS' Motronic's VVT so can offer a perhaps somewhat 'hot' street cam (and if I have it right as to how the VVT works), it then reverts to a fairly mild cam at very low to idle rpm's. I plan on using the stock exhaust manifold going into my low mileage complete Ansa exhaust - no cat, but bung inserted near the downpipes Y. This along with 10.5:1 pistons (+ / -). I'll check with the fellow in the Netherlands if he feels his TS Motronic chip will assist/enhace this particular set-up, I'll get one. I'll match ports and have all reciprocating parts balanced. That's it.

I'll admit I'm 'viewing' the VVT's operation as being akin to a distributor which is at full advance at higher rpm's, but retards as the rpm's go down. Yes, apples and watermelons, so I might well be way off in my expectations of the VVT.

Biba

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
BR juha, thanks. I'm curious as to why a company which is obviously marketing internationally configures their website so that it can only be accessed through ie 6/7 - whatever ie 6/7 is? Would it be possible for you to go to their cam listing / price page for 8V TS cams with VVT and post that specific URL?

Biba

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cat Cams

Here is the web site for Cat Cams Catcams.co.uk - Fast Road, Rally & Race Cams This one works .

One of the Cams I got from Alfaholics is on the Cat Cam list the other must be a custom grind.
I knew my cams were from Cat Cam when they showed up and they were hollow.

I thought about cutting down the Nord hub . The problem would be the lip at the top will be missing .
It must be OK if you did it .
IMG_1544 copy.jpg

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I didn't know tha my catcams web page out of order, sorry.

I have cut nord hub for my TS with out any problems. Lip on the top is missing but there is enough material.

-Juha-

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Juha, I was able to get to the website, but couldn't get past the Home page. I suspect it is merely how you Finns access the Internet as opposed to the US. Meaning I appreciate your posting it.

I do wish I could get CatCams price list - especially for the 8V TS cams. They mention their price list, but seem to have it well hidden.

David, I hope you haven't minded my excursions into your thread.

Biba

·
Richard Jemison
7,729 Posts
Cam information

Just to inform on cam basics:

Billet cams are ok for typical moderate profile and low use applications. But for high lift severe use cams even virgin billets really should be hardwelded.

Hardwelding is far from being equal from most builders. The material used is critical. Most shops use typical high carbon/crome based alloys which typically are better than stock cams for wear. However none of the typical alloys are as durable as the nickle stellite alloy we use in building up cams for new lobes. This alloy cost about $20,000.00 per 400 lb case. (That is only one of the reasons my cams are more expensive) and we (WebCam) use that amount bi-monthly. I do not know of another builder using that alloy for what it`s worth.

Cams can be made with any BC to fit the customers application. Small shims are not needed as with over the counter cams.

Unlike "over the counter" cams that offer few options, I build cams to match the engine, any mods and the customer`s use of the car. Plus set up data and tips not available from your OTC builders.

There is no way to optimize an engines power without specific lobe designs for the intake and specific exhaust designs. Only then can the power stroke be maximized. One cam lobe design on both sides is only done on the CHEAP. Not even Alfa continued that after 1990.

Customers do not choose cam lobes. [I provide options that will work, and then they can decide (If they wish, and are adequately informed) to suggest what they want.)

There is nothing magical about TS engines. Nothing.. Porting is rough, but factory cams are better than Nords, but the overal package is not worth the effort and complications to convert to from a 2 L Nord.
Half the $$ spent on a TS, if used in preparing a Nord correctly, will result in as good, or more power than a TS. Don`t believe all you read about their "power" outputs.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Richard (again, David I apologize), if you feel in essence that Twin Sparks are a waste of time, I for one question how much effort you have put into coming up with 'optimal' cam lobe designs for this very specific head - and especially for those of us (okay, me) want to retain their VVT?

I'm not saying you haven't, but it does make one wonder since you're apparently 100% sold on the Nord...period.

Biba

·
Registered
190 Posts
The usual rhetoric from Alfar7, I suppose he has a lot of Alfa knowledge but I would never purchase from someone with this attitude. Possibly (maybe) accurate but always a downer!

:(

·
Richard Jemison
7,729 Posts
TS Cams

Richard (again, David I apologize), if you feel in essence that Twin Sparks are a waste of time, I for one question how much effort you have put into coming up with 'optimal' cam lobe designs for this very specific head - and especially for those of us (okay, me) want to retain their VVT?
I`ve built several cams for TS. All VVt. Search the BB for them including pics.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Juha, I was able to get to the website, but couldn't get past the Home page. I suspect it is merely how you Finns access the Internet as opposed to the US. Meaning I appreciate your posting it.

I do wish I could get CatCams price list - especially for the 8V TS cams. They mention their price list, but seem to have it well hidden.

David, I hope you haven't minded my excursions into your thread.

Biba
It seems tobe that their web page fuction only Internet Explorer 6 or 7.:eek::mad:
If you have those versions then it function, but I couldn't find price list also. I have bought my cams from local dealer. They have their CatCams dealer list at web bage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts