Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the car a 1979 spider and after 2 months of aggravation from the Dept of motor vehicles it is time to get rolling but first I want to change the filters. Not being mechanical is pulling the airbox a simple task. I checked around the forum but didn't see anything about how to go about this.My mechanic (brother in law) is away for the week, so I want to impress him when he gets back

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I have an S3- not sure if it has the same airflow meter "box", but that snaps off with 4 or so clips. Filter is right there.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Does your car have the stock Spica fuel injection or carburetors? If you're not sure, post a picture or two. Either way, yes, this should be pretty simple to do.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
My old USA spec Alfetta was a SPICA injected motor and as such had the tubular air box with two tubular elements inside. Opened on the front end with a couple of spring clips.

·
Registered
512 Posts
79 Spider.. if it's still Spica Fuel Injection... will look similar to this.. airbox right there... 3 clips on right side.. two filters stacked in there... pull out.. put new ones in... cap back on, clips on correctly, start car... go fast..:)

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help, guess it is as simple as it looks. Looking at the picture from Davo makes me think I need to clean up my engine bay and shine up my air box.

·
Registered
512 Posts
konati... Blue Bell, Pa. Isn't that close to Valley Forge/Phxville?.
Air box.. take it off... lots to clean up in and around that area, a few wires to figure out, access to the Fuel Injection area and main front gas filter (which you'll be familiar with eventually). Some great threads on the air box, how it works, 'keeping it', even painting it 'close' to the original grey/blue. The stainless plate comes off with the rivets and re-installs. If the 79 still has the emission pipe going over the valve cover.. A few threads about what to do with the pipes, how they work/and don't. And modifying the inlet to get good cool air into the box to feed the engine... You'll find that even the 'small stuff' like getting the air box area squared away is very good for the car, and leads to other things that'll need attention and improving... The motor mounts are probably waiting for you.... :)..

Davo
Same pic, diff notes, from a GTv.. but very similar..

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes Blue Bell is maybe 8 miles from Valley Forge, I ride my bicycle(Trek Madonne 5.2) from here to there and around the park as often as I can. Lucky for me the moter mounts are new, PO had that done. I see you live in Sante Fe my wife and friends visited out there a few years back then drove up and rented a house in Taos, beautifull area. Even added some plaque to the old arteries at Buffalo Bite, couldn't pass up the famous burgers they serve up

·
Registered
512 Posts
I'm driving my 77 Spider back that way next summer/fall. Family goes back to 1680's there.. Grandfather was the steel plant physician for a zillion years, VFP is great place to ride and wander. Covered bridge..etc...
anyway.. Some good threads on just about everything on your car. Some current restores going on. Mine is wrapping up, lots of info there too.
If the Oil Vapor Seperator is kaput, there's a few options there. On my 74 GTV, the engine bottom end is tight enough that I am currently bypassing the system, and using a Breather Vent at the valve cover that works great for vapor release. Not much oil blow by. I've plugged off the oil return line to the dipstick, and the metal tube under the air box also. The 69 GTV has a new OVS, hooked up correctly, works great too..
Sorta a mix and match thing... :)

Attachments

·
Registered
512 Posts
Pictures help. )) great..... .So. that black tube is the remains of the emission controls for the 79 model. A pre-heat tube if you will.. that brings early warm air to the intake... That can be replaced easily also... not crucial, but if you go about cleaning up the engine bay, it'll look nice.
I see no air pump system, that would be an additional belt driven pump that connects to pipes from the exhaust and onwards to a catalytic converter downstream on the exhaust... It would have been right above the alternator, with some serious bracket that mounted to the engine if it was on there.
So.. you're fine as it is...though not 'right'. ). Check for a catalytic converter.. just downstream from the exhaust manifold....or if you're running a standard mid pipe....
Now you can do some searching on here and get lots of information on that system... "air pump".... "catalytic converter".. changing exhaust manifolds".... "removing_________" (any of the above), "emissions"....."modifying or improving exhaust"...etc... lots to read about and a few different opinions (shocking!) as to which way and how much to spend.
It's the beginning of the end I'm afraid :) Your entering the 'Alfa Zone', where reason and logic wrestle with obsession and your wallet. But you're in the right area, getting the car to run well and reliably.. to start. Looks like the radiator was gone thru, new fan, maybe water pump too?... A lot of those smaller hoses look original, like in, 33 years old, and may start whispering... "change me" soon.
Some other great threads on BB for getting a new aquisition up to speed for reasonable monies. Changing all fluids, checking brakes and brake lines, all the rubber that is 33 years old, etc, etc.
Or... drive it and have fun...look and laugh as parts fly off in the rear view mirror...:) And read up on Spiders on here. If you have the original owners manual, it's actually pretty helpful, and I believe there's a way to access one via a CD or something on here too... Good luck with it all.

·
Registered
346 Posts
There is a chapter of the AROC in your area. Look up Delaware Valley Alfa Owners Club
A lot of good fellows and gals that own Alfa's in your area. I know cause I helped found the club in 1974 I think they are listed on the bottom of the site under clubs and organizations

·
Registered
512 Posts
That.. is your catalytic converter...Looks pretty close to original... good chance it's toast...if it's simply 'hollowed' out, it'll 'work'.. but smart bet is to make a decision to replace with an aftermarket.. maybe Magnaflow or a universal that will work.. There will be a sensor wire off of it that goes into some wiring, etc... But without the air pump hooked up... your system is not complete, probably won't function as it should..
So.. go to search.... look up...' changing exhaust manifolds' or 'replacing catalytic converter exhaust'..etc.... for options...
I went with taking out the catalytic system.. putting in a 1974 exhaust manifold and mid pipe, tweeked the timing and a few other things and my 79.. and 77.. run great, starts right up, good mileage, and the engine is happy, breathing better... Not too hard to do, parts could be.....$250-300? Hence the journey that is fixing or improving your Alfa.
As Lee suggests.. if you have to time/inclination.. the local club there probably has great information that is relevant to your area, altitude, atitude... And they haven't been exposed to BobCat Bite burgers... :)

In the pic... you can see the 'newer' 1974 version of the exhaust.. more free flowing, easy conversion, used one's for sale on BB, and the pipe past it, from suppliers.. Or someone will chime in I hope with a way to keep the cat system or whatever.. Balance the cost and the desired outcome for you. And... maybe that Cat is ok....the local guys will be a big help in person....

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Once again thanks to all for the great information. I will be joining the Alfa owners club and my local division

1 - 18 of 18 Posts