Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yes. you can do this at home with a few common wrenches.

Alfa 164 OEM 60506968 fuel filter was Bosch 0 450 905 087 (F 5087) but many different brands are available.

Tools needed:

Two 8mm or 5/16" wrenches for clamp bolt.
One 22mm or 7/8" open end wrench or large adjustable for filter body
One 19mm or 3/4" box end wrench for inlet banjo fitting fluid bolt
One 17mm box end wrench (11/16" loose fit but may work in a pinch) for outlet fluid bolt.

If possible it is best to try and loosen both fluid bolts by holding filter with 22mm open end wrench and using box end wrenches before you loosen and remove 8mm clamp bolt.

This steadies filter and then you should have a drip pan or some old newspaper or something to catch fuel as filter will be full of fuel and also if tank hose and pump check valve good possibly under trapped pressure (max 40 psi) when you first loosen either fluid bolt.

Filter is located under right side of car just inboard of rear jack point under rear door (see first pix).

Note: clamp bolt has a long spacer between ears of clamps.

Also there is a rubber insulator (large flat rubber band) that you take off old filter and install on new one that coes under clamp.

Note hex flats on filter inlet and outlet boss are 22mm both ends but inlet and outlet fitting are different sizes (larger is inlet from tank).

Important point is to see there are 4 copper sealing washers for fittings and one goes under hex head of fluid bolt before banjo fitting goes on bolt and other goes between filter boss and banjo fitting.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
That filter shows here DAVID VASCO product card cross types to a PUROLATOR F53191. Advance Auto Parts web site says the F53191 is not a match to the 164 but all my local stores do have it in stock. So you'd have to ask for it by the Purolator number since the parts system at the retailers won't find the filter as a part for a 164.

·
Premium Member
27,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
573 Posts
Do be careful and wear safety goggles doing this, I got petrol in my eyes switching the filter on the Saxo and it stings like hell.

·
Premium Member
4,766 Posts
I think I have a mental condition. So...8 am and I decide to change mine. After the ordeal getting the right one and the dude at the parts store being obstinate, I figgered why not. Took longer to find my 19 mm wrench than anything else. Job took 15 minutes or so and that's laying on my back in a gravel driveway. Of course the car didn't wanna start afterwards but she caught eventually - taught me that Alfa is very sensitive to fuel pressure or lack thereof!!

Going to let it drain for the morning and then cut it open just for giggles to see what was in there. Yes our car has the filter on the driver side as you can see in the pic of the installed unit. Off for a drive and finish this coffee. Yummy. ciao, chris

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
That is near where the mid muffler located on V6 models. I see your exhaust pipe next to it behind that shielding. Seems pretty close (to close) for comfort.

·
Premium Member
4,766 Posts
I had that thought as well. Drove out to Codroipo which is 7 miles or so and I felt the filter banjos for leaks and in the general area for heat. No leaks and no heat. That pipe is further away than the foto suggests and for some reason it doesn't run hot back there. Funny how the cars are the same yet they're not. Ciao, chris

·
Premium Member
4,766 Posts
Well, cut the old one open and...not sure what color the filter paper was originally but as you can see, it was pretty gunked up and a slimy kinda black goo coating the paper. I imagine the new filter uses that kinda light brown stuff. I unraveled a good 3 feet of paper element. I have no earthly idea of how long this filter had been on the car but I know from the PO that the pump was changed at some point so I'm guessing the filter was as well. Car runs fantastic but I'm pretty sure its the same thing as how well they run when they've been washed. some pics...ciao, chris

Attachments

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
The filter on my car looks like an original judging from the corrosion. Is 22 years past it's useful lifespan?:blush:

·
Premium Member
16,276 Posts
"Is 22 years past it's useful lifespan?"

Hah, you think?

·
Premium Member
4,766 Posts
bumped up for you MDmilano88

found this hope it helps you. ciao, chris

·
Registered
444 Posts
Anyone here know what sizes the copper crush washers are? I have a couple of new fuel filters but both lack the washers, and they appear to be a size that is not readily available at PepVanceZone. Unless an electric stove works, I don't have a readily available way to anneal the old washers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well... I just finished an overhaul of the complete rear axle and since it my fuel filter looked like it had sit there since it left the factory....

On my late model (1997) the fuel filter is on passengers/left side. Even after a year standing still there was still a lot of fuel pressure on it.
I forgot to fit the new copper rings :blush: but so far it seems to be leak free.

·
Registered
444 Posts
FYI, if your fuel filter is missing the copper washers, they are available from any Volkswagen or Volvo dealership or parts supplier because the filter is also used on some other cars like the VW Scirocco and Volvo 240 Turbo. My filter is from Mann and lacked the washers. You will need two M12x16mm and two M14x18mm washers per filter. I got mine from IPD, a Volvo supplier, who also sells the filter and new banjo bolts in case yours need replacing.

Product Search: FUEL FILTERS

1 - 15 of 15 Posts