Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1973 GTV, 1969 GTV, TR4 & 1969 Roadrunner (long gone), 1967 & 1969 Corvettes
7,178 Posts
Rosso Veloce;405206Would it be cheaper/better to keep using my Castrol and just add MMO? [/QUOTE said:
Probably not IMO. MMO has a watery consistity which probably would dilute your 20w-50 down quite a bit. I think it's time to look at what exactly is in STP.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Here is a post I copied from the BB from a while back. Do not know if it is 100% true or not.

"In the Alfa Owner a couple of months ago they had a article on Zinc in the oils today and they said they contacted Castrol and they said that their Castrol GTX 20/50 does not have zinc anymore.

I looked back to June (or May ?) of last year and couldn't find any article.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
I bet the'll be quite the hose job done with prices for this "new" old 20w-50. Syntex isn't even a "pure/real/actual" syn either. It's IIRC a Group 3 or a more "purified" (for lack of a better work) dino oil.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Synthetics are fine if your car doesn't already leak ....
they also are fine for a car that doesn't already leak that you want to leak or for a car that leaks that you want to leak more IMO.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
I own 4 GMC motorhomes and our net group has been swatting this problem around for a few months. One of our vendors has "lost" 4 new rebuild 455 engines due to poor protection provided by the new oil formulations. This was documented by Jasper Engines - the performance side- not the stock rebuild side- as they ponied up to replace the engines on their dime. These failures were all cam and lifter related on the new engines due to wear. They determined that is was the very low ZDDP concentrations in the new formulations.

So, cutting to the chase the vendor and Jasper have found an off the shelf solution with a Valvoline dino oil product. It is the Valvoline VR1 racing oil. It has 1200 PPM zinc and 1300 PPM phosphorous. It meets all other requirements and has the new SM rating as well. Documented direct from Valvoline. They also have another one but is does not have any detergent (or very little) and is not recommended for street use. I know it comes in 50W and not sure if they have different weights also.

This is probably not the last word on this problem but it's what I know and I trust the man that did the search. He has more to lose than most as he puts in 15 to 20 engine s a year and has to guarantee them.

Here is the sight :
Daily Pose
It changes on a daily basis so it will be in the archive are in about a week.

Marcus
What about Valvoline 4 stroke Motorcycle 20w-50. Probably a bit more detergents than the VR1 Racing oil and just a bit less zinc. (.120 vs .130)? But who knows - looks like the spec sheets aren't current.Fairly reasonable nowadays at Autozone for about 3.35/qt.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/4-Stroke Motorcycle Oil.pdf

http://www.valvoline.com/products/VR-1 Racing Motor Oil.pdf

IMO. it's a mistake to use the new formula GTX 20w-50 with the low zinc level
whatever it is cause they don't even show it on their spec sheet
http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/b...NG/local_assets/downloads/p,q/psd_gtx_usa.pdf
but IIRC from other forum postings, it's under .10

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.