Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
<sarcasm warning!> Wasn't that nice of the oil companies to let everyone know about the formulation change!?! Most of the cars using these oils were getting their cat converters torn up by the ZDDP, but those of us with vintage cars have only found out because of torn up engines.

After doing some research, I've decided to use Valvoline VR-1 20-W50. It's a conventional base stock (so not a lot of $). There's lots of other racing formulations out there, but most of the others are synthetic based.

Would it be cheaper/better to keep using my Castrol and just add MMO? I'm adding it to the fuel anyway.

Registered
So, I can use the VR-1 racing oil (with the ZDDP) and add MMO as a detergent -or- use the Castrol 20-w50 and add a ZDDP additive (STP...)??? I'm more concerned with adding too much detergent that would strip away the boundary layer lube that the ZDDP offers!

Registered
Looks like it's the Valvoline for now, sprinkled with lots of "Italian tune-ups" to keep the engine from gumming.

"But Officer, I was just cleaning my engine!"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.