Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
What were the changes on the GTV6 over the years optically and technically?
There seems to be some technical and optical changes in 1983 like ignition and bumper bars on doors, in 1986 milano/75 rear suspension?
What exactly was changed, and when?

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
There were lots of changes, each year was a little different. I'm not aware of any website that lists all the changes by year, so maybe it's waiting for you? You can download all the owner's manuals from the various years and start from there.

What do you mean Milano rear suspension? The suspension is the same for GTV6 and Milano. Spring heights are different but that's all.
Bye

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello, maybe it's not just suspension but at leaet shifting rods? I read about it got the milano "rear Setup"

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Hello, maybe it's not just suspension but at leaet shifting rods? I read about it got the milano "rear Setup"
Okay, I understand now. The late model GTV6's got the isometric shifter assembly that all Milano's had. That was quite a change, along with all the iso stuff at the transaxle, the shaft that runs along the transmission tunnel parallel (let's call it the driveshaft shifter rod (DSR) to the driveshaft changed. I believe the shifter that you hold in your hand stayed the same.

The DRS in late model GTV6's is different than the ones found in Milano's.
Bye for now

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try this link at AlfaGTV6.com to start:

Very good ressource, thank you!
Interesting details about end drive ratio.

Background is that my car seems to be built in 1983 and I try to find out if it is a 1983 configuration or a 1984.

If I look at high performance store they sell a different set of silicone vacuum for a 83 and a 84

I have looked in my papers and in Austria the GTV6 was certified with a gear ratio of 3,5 - 1,956 - 1,345 - 1,026 - 0,78
End drive 4,1 in Oct 1980 - VIN of certified car was 000012

I also have an additional certification from 1982 where the GTV6 is changed to gear ratios 3,5 - 1,956 - 1,258 - 0,946 - 0,78 end drive 4,1
Starting from vin 07501 which tabucchi gives as start of 1981 vin range.
My car is in the end of tabucchis 1983 vin range

So as I have the long end drive it‘s a 83 model?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Be careful with gear ratios. US cars changed ratio's over the years, most non-US cars were the same throughout production other than (in Australia at least) some very late cars.

In fact looking at that link most of the information in it relates to US delivered cars which differed in many ways to other markets, notably in the trim used over the years.

For the gear change, the isostatic started in production in mid-1984 (my September '84 build car had it, a friends May '84 car did not) and the complete floor pan was updated to 75 style with the short torsion bars and removable centre cross-member. The rear floor was also modified to give room for the linkage.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I think all the GTV6 end drives in Europe were 4,1 through the years 81-86. Some have changed to the 75 end drive but then complained the acceleration got slower. So for the long end drive you also need the 3L engine.

With regards to the shifing mechanism it was called Isostatica. I had a conversion kit of that and actually all parts of that kit were different from the original shifter. Also the new shifter needed more space, so on the later production models there was a dent in the body to make space for this mechanism. This dent can be felt at the feet area wall under the seat, for the left passenger position. The new mechanism had better feel at the shift stick than the older, but eventually after many years of use they get more wobbly than the first mechanism, which is much simpler with fewer joints.

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
Here's a random selection of GTV6 changes;
1. 86MY got third brake light; rotary AC compressor;relocated ignition coil; illuminated power window switches and a different speedometer sending unit
2. 81-84MY had 85 mph speedometer; polished bumper center sections and a fake wood steering wheel- 85/86 bumper centers were painted black; steering wheel was black leather and 140mph speedometer
3 81-83MY had silver Campagnolo wheels; 84 had silver Campys with black centers; 85 had Speedline metric wheels; 86 had "wineglass" wheels...at some point(84?) silver and silver/black BWA wheels were used-these look virtually identical to the Campys but are heavier and less prone to corrosion...all factoryGTV6 wheels were 15"x6" and fit all years
4. 81-83MY had smaller AR emblems on the front grille; 84-86 had larger versions of the same badge
5. 81-83MY front seats were unchanged from Alfetta GT seats; 84-86 had different seats with mesh headrests-also the door panels and rear panels changed at the same time
6. 81-83MY had conventional antenna; 84-86 had antenna in the windshield
7. 81-83MY had one AC evaporator with a small condensor; 84-86 had a second evaporator(TropicAire")and a larger condensor
8. 81,84,85 & 86MY had 4:10 rear axle ratio; 82 & 83 had 3:42-note there were several changes made in the individual gear ratios over the years
9. 81-83MY had one type of ECU,distributor and ignition module; 84-86MY ECU, distributor and ignition module were different
10. 81-83MY hatch badge read "alfa romeo GTV6; 84-86 hatch badge read " GTV6"
There were more changes but that's all I can think of at the moment

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,564 Posts
Great info Jim. I think Tropicaire was optional. My 84 doesn't have it.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
From my experience, Tropic-Aire A/C came on 1985 (1/2?) and 1986 models. Earlier models had small round ALFA badges on both ends of the car. Later models had larger badges. The one for the grille had a black plastic support that clipped onto the grille. I think earlier GTV6s had a very thin rubber strip down the sides (nearly end-to-end) to protect body from opening doors dinging the paint. Later models had a much fatter rubber impact strip between the wheel wells, and lower on the car (where they were too low to protect much of anything). Earlier models had a cast aluminum ignition module box about the size of a closed fist (don't know the correct name for that), whereas later units replaced the box with a much smaller chip. 1986 units came with a black fiberglass panel between the taillights. Power window switches on earlier cars had soft shaped units with arrows. Later models came with lit angular switches. Earliest cars had 1" longer steering columns than later models, which needed different plastic column shells to accommodate. Then there were the special limited edition models offered--- Baloccos, Maratonas, and Grand Prix (in Europe).

At one point in the past, I had an '83 and an '84 parked in my yard. The gearing on the '84 always seemed to beg for one more gear above 5th (vs the '83). I had a chance to prove my suspicions when the speedo crapped out on one. I used the tach to gage my speed until I could fix the speedo. On the '84, I could double the tach to get MPH in 5th gear. On the '83, I had to downshift into 4th gear to get the same reading. The '84 had better launch, but was noisy at cruise speeds. The '83 was much quieter and got 31 MPG.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Also, earlier models had a slightly different intake plenum than later models. The later version was marked '6C' on the top front of the casting. Likely other modifications beyond what we've all offered above. But that's a solid run at it.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Guys, the poster looks like he’s in Austria. Is that the flag on his details? If so European type cars were significantly different to US cars. For example, gear ratios and final ratios stayed the same for most of the run in Europe. None of that long final drive nonsense, no stupid 85mph speedo, no tropicair, blah blah blah. Also there is no concept of a model year at that time outside the US and Canada. Cars are referred to by their build date, or in some cases by their first registration.

Not saying the info above isn’t useful and interesting just it could be confusing for non-US consumption. So, from memory and for most non-US markets (years approximate):

81-82 cars, small badges, Alfetta GTV seats and door cards, no side rubbing strips.
83-mid 84 cars, large badges, later ‘Recaro style‘ seats, side rubbing strips with grey paint below
Later 84-85 cars, same as 83-84 but with 75 style chassis, isostatic etc.
86-ish and on cars, no grey below the side rubbing strips and in some markets at least catalysts so lead-free gas and lower power. I think motronic rather than l-jetronic as well but others can help here.

All cars had electric windows, optional A/C and sunroof. The 6C plenum was a running change and there were differences between markets wrt ignition and intake, Switzerland and Australia for example sharing a unique plenum as they shared emission rules at the time.

All of this is from memory so I am sure to be missing a fair few things. And then of course there are the market specific special editions, and the UK RHD cars with their unique dashboards. our friend in Pakistan has one of those.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So my car is built 83, first registered in Austria.
No power steering, no aircon ;)
Antenna in windscreen, leather recaro style seats.
No seat belts in the rear

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,564 Posts
If it was built late in 1983 it was probably built to 1984 specs. Or they ran out of the old style seats and just started using the newer style.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
I’m in the US and have an '83 and an '84 (I’ll have to check the build dates). The differences I've found between them are that the '84 has:

-small front emblem, large rear emblem
-recarro style interior (seats, door panels, arm rest trim).
-antenna in windshield
-no hand throttle on dash
-newer ignition system
-atmospheric pressure sensor
-different fuel cut off switch (black box instead of gray cylinder).
-lower gear ratios
-black leather steering wheel and shift knob instead of wood.
-150mph speedo
-sunroof
-heater/ac controls (green instead of orange/blue iirc)
-wide bump strip on doors mounted low
-black and silver wheels instead of all silver

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Based on what we saw in Australia the later seats were a running change in ‘83. Maybe around the August factory shutdown? I’m not sure, just there were ‘83 build cars in RHD markets with the changes I mentioned above plus of course the straight dash, early RHD cars retained the earlier split dash.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts